or Connect

Posts by shard

It's different because the nature of the networks is different. GSM supports concurrent data, voice and messaging and Verizon does not. The way the apps switch etc is handled differently. Ideally it should be write once deploy to many. But when fragmentation occurs you are writing once to deploy to one.
You are over simplifying. There are different ARM CPUs in use with different amounts of ram and different graphics capabilities. We actually do test against everything, no shortcuts. Just because somethings share the same components does not mean they are the same, unless they have the exact same specs. You may think it's easy but it is not. A Motorola Droid running one version of Android and another with a different version is considered 2 devices. The GSM version of the...
Any body can be a developer for Android, there are no fees involved, but how many have really written an app? Apple requires developers to pay and register. It weeds out the posers Just look at the number of apps for iOS and that for Android and you will have an idea.
Another sore point. Most Android devices to date are not upgradable to the latest version of Android, they are stuck at the release version or at most one or two versions up. This is not the fault of Google and the Android team but rather the phone manufacturers abandoning their users in as little as 6 months to focus on newer devices and forcing users to upgrade. This is one of the main causes of Android's fragmentation. iOS on the other hand supports devices up to 2 to 3...
I could be completely wrong and someone please correct me if I am. The problem has to do with the number of pixels on LCDs. Unlike old CRTs that just stretch or shrink an image to size provided the ratio is the same, LCDs have something called DPI (dots per inch). The same problem happens with desktop LCDs if you don't use the native resolution. The first apps were written to take advantage of the exact number of dots on the iPhone and iPod Touch, when the iPad was...
You listed a handful of devices from a few manufacturers. There are tons more. Also we develop for the international market and not just the US, that means the number of devices goes up again.Edit.In case anyone is interested, here is a list of Android devices, there are hundreds and possibly thousands if you include different Android versions and I am pretty sure the list is not complete.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ndroid_devices
My company gave up Android development long ago. Right from the start, we realized that we needed a development team many times the size of the iOS team and not meaning to generalize but from experience, iOS users are more willing to pay. For iOS, the hard part is writing an app that Apple will approve. But if you follow the rules and guidelines, your testing team can be very small since you are only testing against, the iPhone, iPad and iPhone. Lets say 3 generations...
And Apple stock price is now close to or at a new historical high...
Heh, I think they should be more concerned about the Nintendo Wii and Sony Move rather than the iPad. As mentioned multiple times, the Kinect cannot be compared against the iPad no matter how you look at it.
I think the article is a little vague, it says that they can only make 3 or 4 an hour, but how many are they normally able to produce if there are no problems? Also this is per machine, how many machines do they have doing this?