or Connect

Posts by shard

It is normally a good thing when an analyst updates his estimates when new information becomes available. But flip flopping between 2 extremes and sometimes in the period of less than a day is ridiculous. Analysts are supposed to study the market then make an educated guess and not shoot their mouth off every chance they get with inaccurate estimates that they constantly change.
The problem is not his accuracy but the frequency. Talking for the sake of talking just to generate news. In most cases, analysts are rated not by their accuracy because they can always phrase their estimates to cover their asses but by how often they are quoted, by constantly changing their estimates by wide margins, they artificially generate extra quotes and because there are so many estimates made, it is easy to fall back on an earlier estimate and say, I got it right.
I hope you stick to your estimate of 10 and not flip flop to 4 then to 8 etc
Lol!I think it is mostly luck which stores have it in stock and for how long.
US demand seems to be satisfied for now with some stores actually having sets available for walk-ins. First phase of international launches seems to have gone better than expected and the second phase is a month away. I wonder if they can make that date or will it have to be pushed back for stock to build up to have a significant launch? Another thing to note, the new iPhone is supposed to be out soon as well. Apple has been great in phasing and staggering their product...
This is Gene Munster. Flip flop... If I recall correctly, his initial assessment was 2.7 million and then he raised it to 5.6 million and then he lowered it to 4.3 million and now he raised it to 6.2 million. All this in the last couple of months. I wonder how many more flips and flops before the end of the year? I pity the investors following the calls.
Ordered my 15 inch MBP a couple of days after launch, got it in 4 days. Specced with 15 inch hires antiglare display, 8GB of ram and 512GB SSD. I don't think it is a delay, more like they ran out of stock.
Gene Munster is really not a very good Apple analyst, the only reason why he is quoted so much is because he talks the most. One product launch and you can expect 2 to 3 predictions from him, 300K, 600 to 700K and then finally back to 300K. There is a saying in the investment community, the only thing worse than a bad analyst is a bad analyst that flip flops.
True but the point is that even with 1 million units sold, it is still not going to save Palm. What Motorola did is what Palm should have done, they released the Milestone (GSM version) shortly after the DROID, which allowed them to make sales in the rest of the world. If Palm had released a GSM version of the Pre shortly and not waited for such a long time, they would have sold tons more.
Not sure if this has been mentioned but the key reason why the Pre failed is because Palm launched a phone that only works in the US and maybe 1 or 2 other countries. Even though this is now being addressed, it is too late because they already missed the window. A smart phone that cannot roam internationally is just silly in today's world. Not to mention the amount of sales they could have gotten if the phone could be sold and used in other countries. Alot of people...