or Connect

Posts by Retrogusto

I got my 6 on the first day, and I'm mostly used to it now, but I admit that I did see somebody using a 5s on the subway yesterday and felt a little envy, due to the size. I've gotten used to what for me is a more awkward experience. I doubt Apple will regret the decision soon, since they seem to be selling like crazy, but I do hope they offer a smaller top-tier device in the future. I might have traded my 6 in for a 5s if they still offered it with 64gb, but of course the...
That's because he's British! It's much more prevalent in British English. According to the OED, it's been used in this way since 1607.
Your sarcasm is inappropriate, but let me clarify a few points:The useful things in your list here are heart rate, and not having to take your phone out of your pocket. All of the other things you list can be accomplished by your phone, which you will still have to carry around, so what the watch is enabling you to do is not take your phone out. And I suspect that responding to messages and calls would be better with the phone in many cases, if not most.Even if everything...
I hope he's right, but these estimates (units and ASP) seem a bit optimistic to me, for a few reasons. When the iPad launched, it could already do a number of pretty useful things quite well, and in some cases better than any other device: surfing the Internet, watching movies, ultra-portable computing, etc. and it was relatively easy for developers to modify their iOS apps to work well on the iPad. I haven't heard of a lot of useful things that the Apple Watch does well,...
These numbers (if true) are more about availability than anything else. Apple is selling every phone they can make, so sales percentages just reflect manufacturing capacities. And I like my 6, but if I could have paid $100 more for a smaller screen and form factor, I definitely would have. I really hope they make the 7 available in a size conducive to one-handed operation.
I saw something yesterday that said 10M of their 40M subscribers are paid subscribers, but the ad-supported accounts are also generating revenue, of course. The music is "free" in the same way that a movie or sports event is "free" on network television, but I'd be surprised if networks spend 70% of their revenues on programming, as Spotify does.A musician friend of mine was recently complaining that he'd had something like 40,000 listens on Spotify and received some...
Kinda strange that Apple Pay works with the watch without requiring a fingerprint. That presumably means that if somebody steals your watch and phone, they don't actually need to unlock your phone (or anything) to go on a major shopping spree, since all they would have to do is press the button on the watch to authorize payment. Am I missing something?
Yeah. If Apple could add this to the list of services that it provides for free to iOS devices, or even if they just ran it at cost the way they used to for some of the services, it would make it next to impossible for people to justify using any other company's products. It would also make it easier for them to focus on the consumer experience without worrying about what carriers want. AT&T and Verizon are each worth more than the cash Apple has in the bank, but T-Mobile...
Yeah, I'm writing this on my iPad 2 that I bought on the first day, and I still love it and use it daily. This might be bad for upgrade cycles (from an investor's perspective—not mine!), but on the plus side, I talked a number of people into getting one based on my positive experience, and I bought one for a friend and one for my grandmother, which I probably wouldn't have if it weren't such a freaking great thing. And if and when I find myself needing a new tablet...
Maybe that it's hard to improve much on results this good, and some might not see how it could be done. I think some people have been worrying about this for years now, and being proven wrong over and over kind of paradoxically makes them that much more convinced.