or Connect

Posts by Retrogusto

Yeah. But my biggest complaint is the way the white borders with controls seem to be there when I don't want them, and not there when I do. For example, if I'm looking at a photo in landscape mode, bars at the top and bottom of the screen obscure part of the picture, and I don't know how to make them disappear. You'd think they'd vanish after a few seconds, but they don't. At least not usually. On the other hand, if I'm looking at a web page, the bar at the bottom that...
 Good point. The demographics I've been seeing in the past 10 years might not be the same ones that people were seeing 25 years ago when most of today's CEOs were getting started.
To me, the surprise isn't that there aren't more African-Americans in top-tier tech positions, it's that there aren't more Indians, Chinese and Russians (although there are some of course, like Nadella at Microsoft). In my experience working in technology in New York, those seem to be the dominant groups. I haven't really seen high percentages of African-Americans in technology in any "tier," and the situation isn't much better for women in general. Career choices have a...
Read The Guardian's very unfavorable review of the book here:   http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/10/haunted-empire-book-review   "Great title, shame about the contents."
Here's a positive take on the exact same report from Brian Blair, "Why Apple Innovations Could Boost Stock 20%." Basically, I think the guy said that this quarter was probably nothing special, so investors with lofty expectations may be disappointed, but the rest of the year could be pretty good. http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2014/03/12/why-apple-innovations-could-boost-stock-20/
That's true, but it was also mostly true when he was around, too, if you're talking about Apple's stock price compared to that of its peers. As I and others have noted, most of the products were initially considered failures by the media and analysts, and it wasn't until the sales figures came out that they had to eat their words.
Maybe the "bad neighborhood" thing was a bad example on my part. I live in one of the nicest neighborhoods of New York City, but the only two people I know who were mugged in New York in the last decade or so had their iPhones stolen at gunpoint within a few blocks of my house (and the house of Senator Schumer, and the house of Mayor de Blasio...). Almost definitely the same guy, and within a few weeks of each other. It's pretty rare to get shot here by someone you don't...
I think the "dead man switch" is a pretty good idea, actually. I can imagine someone walking home late at night in a scary neighborhood, and keeping their finger on the button, knowing that if anything bad happened, all they would have to do is let go for it to alert the authorities. You'd probably want a 5-second delay or something, just in case somebody's hand slips, but I don't think this part of the idea is that unreasonable.
Sapphire isn't just used for screens, it's also used in some LEDs. Maybe Apple is preparing for the mass manufacture of an LED-based product?   http://www.compoundsemiconductor.net/csc/indepth-details/19736669/Sapphire-substrates-to-lead-future-LED-market.html
I thought they were jumping on the PC bandwagon then they started using Intel chips, but that ended up turning out OK. I'm sure this will too.