or Connect

Posts by Hands Sandon

The EU is destroying Europe, but that's another issue. I hope that these major projects, which are a collaboration between nations, will continue and that they help smaller ventures rather than hinder them.  Catalonia hasn't declared independence and the EU, to the best of my knowledge, wouldn't support their independence, mostly because it wants to draw its own new boundaries instead, and it wants to keep its members in the club.  
Europeans themselves haven't achieved that much in space before, so this is their first attempt at something big. These people feel that they are at the cutting edge finally, and that's got be exciting.  Contact is still there. It just dropped out a few times. I think they'll know more in the morning.
 Be nice if it did speed things up. Some people are already getting excited about it- "Following the first successful touchdown on a comet by the European Space Agency’s Philae probe, a NASA director expressed his own excitement by declaring it a big step toward “moving off this planet” and “taking” the entire solar system. The U.S. space agency’s planetary science head, Jim Green, said the successful touchdown on Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko on Wednesday is evidence...
It does appear that way, but it wasn't my intention. It seems even the excitement of populating the moon wasn't enough to draw comments from many posters.  On a separate note, the successful Rosetta landing will surely speed up our space endeavours? I guess we'll have to wait to see what it's made of first though.
The Chinese have billions to exploit the moon for everything it's got, and no doubt they will. The rest of us are likely to be left behind in comparison. Perhaps, like you say, that will make us try more, but the way things are going we'll be more concerned about housing immigrants than populating the moon.
Uncanny timing-  
Thanks. I'll get a hold of them. Hopefully the moon won't just turn into a series of military bases and expensive hotels.
The moons so big that there's plenty of space to partition off a large area and sell plots within it. The chances are too, that these plots will be one continuous area, that spreads out like a town. There's no farming on the moon, so the amount of space, even with a lot of people buying lots/plots, would be tiny. Typically there are ways around legislation, but it may be they have to start re-writing things as things develop. 
The surface area of the moon is nearly four times the size of the US, so it's big. That means real estate companies will be selling land and there's bound to be high demand. A plot of land on the moon in the early stages is likely to be pretty cheap. A few acres probably won't cost anymore than it would for a few acres of the Nevada desert. As it becomes more affordable to actually live there, and for living there to offer enough to want to live there for more than short...
We're now just a few years/decades away from having thousands, possibly millions, of people living on the moon, and beyond. So how will politics be up there and who will decide? Will everything be corporate run, or will the people have more control and rights than now?    "Mankind has taken one small step closer to colonising the Moon after the European Space Agency (ESA) revealed its latest plans to provide affordable housing – something we can’t even manage in...