or Connect

Posts by KDarling

If so, then a next question is:  will they allow more than one user per device?   Not only would that be useful for profiles, but it'd avoid situations like:   Kids:  Mom, can you go back to the counter and order us another burger?   Mom:  Get it yourself.  Here's my phone and ... oh darn.  I forgot that it only works for me.   Sure wish that I could add one of your fingerprints, with a spending limit.   Ditto for hubby scenarios, etc.
  Of course, that's all available without a fingerprint sensor.   Fingerprint sensors have been around for a long time, and never got popular even when they worked well.   --   So maybe Apple isn't exactly using it for authentication alone.  It feels like something else is up.  Something unexpected.   Like maybe having a capacitive Home button that recognizes when you mash your finger down on it, distorting the whorls.  That might explain a convex bump as a finger guide...
  True, at one time they did use that name:   Pocket PC, Smartphone (no touch) and Pocket PC Phone Edition (touch).   Later they were renamed Classic, Standard and Pro.     The WinMo Pro devices with touchscreens were more popular with US enterprise users, and overseas consumers.     Actually, Ballmer was right that the iPhone was too expensive for the US market back when it was unsubsidized.   It's why, after only two months, Apple dropped its price by $200... an...
    Yeah, it says that lawyers are human.  It sure doesn't say anything about Samsung's ability to hire lawyers, if that's what you're trying to imply.    First off, she is a high profile lawyer who was known for winning trade dress cases.  She would be a top choice by anyone.   Who knows.  Perhaps she even did it on purpose, because she felt that Judge Koh wanted that admission at that moment.  Women know what other women want.   More importantly, it didn't matter.  She...
  Cool idea, and that would require first giving the food seller your phone number, which is neither convenient nor desirable by many people.   This situation is one where anonymous and less interceptible comm methods like NFC shine.   You could just lay your phone on a portable NFC payment plate, add a tip, and swipe your finger to confirm.   (Payment apps would need to know to display a tip calculation field for restaurants.  Sounds like a potential patent!)
  No need to exaggerate.   One lawyer couldn't.   An older woman.   For all we know, she wasn't wearing her long distance glasses and didn't want to admit it.  Or she just did not notice the other cues that the male lawyers behind her did when they immediately identified the difference.  Like the existence of a Home button.   Warning: sexist but often true remarks ahead.   Heck, my wife can't tell our remote controls apart while in her hands... and they're totally...
  Motorola did not fire 7K "high value engineers", nor were most job "losses" even in the US.     Motorola sold assembly plants in Taiwan and Brazil to another company (Flextronics), and those thousands of overseas assembly workers were transferred on paper from Motorola to Flextronics.   According to Moto, that transfer accounted for the overwhelming majority of Motorola "job losses" the past quarter.
  I'm not.  We're all talking about currently known tech, which is the only thing we can check against right now.     Sorry, I didn't notice their comment about being able to slice down to 10 microns, with difficulty.    However, that's still not a convex shape, and it's still almost an order of magnitude away from the usual 0.5 to 2 microns thickness that's normally used on fingerprint sensors.   Capacitance is inversely proportional to distance, and therefore...
  Thank you very much for the link.  Let me check if 25 microns would be thin enough.  The capacitive/RF fingerprint sensor patents I've read mention one or two microns.     Assuming they're using an RF type of sensor, all it's doing is reading the tiniest bit deeper than, and not relying on air gaps like, DC capacitive scanners.   The problem is, a convex surface would deform the finger ridges and dermis underneath, in different ways each time.  That's why scanners are...
  No one said that Facetime wasn't well done.  In fact, for mobile video chat, it's my favorite.  (As more in my widely flung family get LTE, that might change.)   It's just incompatible with any other brand device, which makes it useless for those of us with families and friends using all types of devices, whenever both parties don't have an Apple device handy.     Video calling was a feature that was included around 2003, in areas that had 3G.  For example:     Does...