or Connect

Posts by KDarling

Actually, Samsung's high end sales didn't take off until they stopped copying the iPhone's looks, and instead advertised their products as alternatives with more advanced features, bigger screens, etc.
  Some of it is due to advertising.  Samsung invested heavily in it last year, and it paid off in spades.     I can easily recall the Samsung TV ads.   If there were any HTC ads, I don't remember them.   -   Some of it is because of relatively little missteps that add up over time.   For instance, I used to love HTC smartphones.  Little by little, that love eroded, due to broken USB ports, strange power button locations, etc.   It was gradual, but pushed me away.   I...
  Most of those jobs were not lost in the US.  They were transfers of foreign factory workers to a new factory owner.   According to Motorola, the bulk of those job reductions last quarter were because of the sale of manufacturing facilities in Taiwan and Brazil to Flextronics.   In other words, most of them were foreign employees who were switched from working for Motorola, to working for Flextronics... still in their own country, at the same factories.   It's not much...
  Does Verizon FiOS count as a "major cable service" ?   They have FTTH.
  HP used AuthenTec back around 2004 on their iPAQ line.     The first retina-screen smartphone (the 2007 Toshiba Portégé G900) had a fingerprint scanner which not only could be used to unlock the phone, but you could even set it up so that each finger launched a different application.   Not sure if it was AuthenTec, though.  Hmm.  Probably not.
  Not when there's prior art.  And there's a lot of it for pinch zoom, going back decades.   Which is why Apple does NOT have a patent on pinch-to-zoom itself.   Nobody does.   --   Instead, this particular patent tries to do an end run, by claiming the combination of looking for one finger for scrolling and two or more fingers for zooming.    Apple will probably attempt to rewrite the claims to salvage the patent.  Usually that works to some extent.  Not sure it's...
  Now, now, be nice.   Besides, the the moment that Samsung starts shipping its cheaper phones in white Tupperware tubs as well, everyone will suddenly decide that Apple's packaging is unique and clever.     I already think it is.  Imagine all the uses that those tubs can have in emerging regions.   I'm actually a little disappointed that Apple didn't join up with that guy who invented that cheap gravity based generator for places without electricity.  That would be super...
  The WSJ article seems to be mostly a rehash of previous events.   Microsoft et al put in their briefs with the ITC last Spring, arguing against injunctions.   Of course, an American company (Qualcomm) that DOES have a lot of major cellular SEPs thinks quite differently, and supports Samsung.   So it seems to at least partly boil down to the SEP haves, and the have-nots.     President Bush didn't intervene back in 2007 when Qualcomm and Verizon were in far worse straits...
It was clearly a comedic report, but yes, you could write them and complain that it's misleading, and that they should add a disclaimer.
  Why, do you think that those are selling in such huge quantities, that they require more than 60 hour work weeks to keep up with demand, like with the iPad?   j/k   At least some Windows tablets are made by them, yes.   To me, this kind of thing is exactly why suggestions that Apple should build their own China factories will never happen.  It's bad enough being a customer and getting dinged for problems.  It'd be even worse to be the owner.