or Connect

Posts by KDarling

Which is exactly why everyone else cross-licensed their patents and ended up paying way less than the starting ask rate.  For example, supposedly Nokia only pays 3% TOTAL royalties, because of all their cross-licensing deals since day one.   Cross licensing was common before Apple came along and refused to play by the same unwritten rules everyone had used for decades.  By not wanting to cross-license, they have caused the rate structure to be re-examined.  Which...
  Sorry, I forget that many people don't recall the charts from before.  As pointed out previously, LTE rates are  the same or very similar to 3G rates.  As the source document authors put it:   "In fact, the announced royalty rates for LTE (4G) are exactly within the range Goldstein and Kearsey observed in 2004 for UMTS/WCDMA (3G) technology where the authors commented that “individual patent owners usually charge between 0.5 and 4 percent on essential patents."   Of...
  You make up a lot of strawmen.  But that's expected from someone who hates facts.   I said their starting asking rate was in line with other known SEP rates.  And then I backed that up with a chart of those rates.     I also said that Motorola's asking price was lower than other rates that Apple pays, such as to Qualcomm.  And that's a fact, too.
  You don't agree in writing to do that when you join an SSO like ETSI, but yes, courts can decide that lower fees make sense in return for higher numbers of licenses, so that the total compensation is at least as much as if it were a non-SEP.   In other words, there is nothing inherently less valuable about a FRAND patent.     (In fact, they beat out non-SEPs over the long term, because people often find ways around those, but bypassing a standards essential patent is...
Apple is no stranger to high asking prices.     They offered to license non-essential patents like rubber banding to Samsung for "only" $30 per phone, or $40 per tablet... the equivalent of about 5% to 10% of the price.       Of course, if you cross-licensed, you got a better rate.  Exactly the same kind of deals that most SEP holders ask for.     Notice that if you didn't use a touchscreen, you got another 20% discount.  
  Google even publishes papers on their deep neural net voice recognition research:   http://research.google.com/pubs/SpeechProcessing.html   (Microsoft Research also publishes some interesting stuff.  Too bad it doesn't all make it into production, but you can download some cool things.)
  If anything, the knowledge is flowing the other way.   Last Fall, Apple hired away Samsung's chief ARM designer, a guy with 16 years experience creating CPUs:   http://www.zdnet.com/apple-hires-samsung-amd-chip-veteran-7000005676/
  Yes, Nuance is infamous for buying up most of its competition... often after softening them up with long, expensive patent lawsuits.     Nuance's CEO says they do NOT provide any technology to Google.     Samsung and HTC, yes.     Google has no need to.  Google's neural net based voice recognition is amazingly accurate.   If anything, Apple is doing this because Nuance isn't as good.
Those legal notices destroy the otherwise clean look.   Weren't they in a lighter shade than that, on more recent white iPhones?
Re: the Motorola X.   Reportedly it'll be built at a 500,000 square foot factory near Fort Worth, Texas, employing about 2,000 people.   It's nice to see a smartphone designed and built in the USA... but something else hit me today.   Because it's built in the US, and not imported, the ITC cannot ban it for infringing on US patents.   (They could still ban imported chips used in it, if there was an infringement on those, of course.)