or Connect

Posts by KDarling

Analogies are not needed.  The situation is simple.   Apple promised to keep their customers' information secure.  That inherently includes protecting info on their servers from unauthorized access of any kind, whether good or bad intentioned.   Apple, like other companies before it, failed to do what they promised.   The real victims are their customers.
  Ah well, it's easy to throw out a cute saying, especially when you bring absolutely no facts to back it up.   So here's your chance to prove yourself, by explaining to us all in detail why you think those Nortel patents are "better quality" than the Motorola patents, to the tune of a quarter million dollars more apiece.   Hint: the problems you're going to have, are at least two fold.  First, the money-making parts of Nortel and the related patents were bought by...
  At $12.5 billion, even if Google bought Motorola just for their 24,500 patents, that's $510,000 per patent.   However, Moto didn't cost as much as some people continue to blindly repeat. It came with $3 billion in cash reserves, and the settop box part is being sold off for $2.5 billion... which knocks the cash price down to $7 billion.  Plus Google gets billions in tax write offs... some analysts say enough to cover the entire purchase... AND they got a phone maker...
  It's a new rule.   It says that Google and Apple have to make a deal instead of tying up the courts.   Everything has been leading towards this.  I've commented many times that forced arbitration makes far more sense than having to resort to injunctions, but there was no forced arbitration before.   Now there is (or at least the equivalent of it).
The FTC order clarifies under what conditions Google can request an injunction. Simplified:   Google must present an offer to the licensee.  They can offer the licensee a better deal if there is cross-licensing, but they cannot require it.   If negotiations last more than six months, Google can then go to the next step: Google can request binding arbitration... and the licensee must agree to accept whatever a court or an arbitrator determines as a FRAND...
  You're very welcome.  This article might also be helpful:   http://www.asymco.com/2012/05/28/shipped-and-sold-a-brief-introduction/     Correct, Apple reports sales.    The critical part you're missing, is that those sales are mostly to retailers and carriers.   The moment an iPhone is shipped to a retailer, it is counted as sold. The moment a Galaxy arrives at a retailer, it is counted as sold.   Both companies account for returns separately, btw.     Yep, they say...
  Thanks, but I'm familiar with them.  I used to fly quite often. I had both a physical flight bag, and also used electronic flight bags and navigation starting back around 2000.   As for the illustration, it doesn't matter whether the flight bag itself has wheels, or it's strapped to something with wheels.  
This report says that iPhone users are slightly more (1.5x) likely to click this particular company's buttons on websites to share content via Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.   SO IT ONLY COUNTS PEOPLE WHO CLICK WEB PAGE BUTTONS.   It cannot and does not count other methods of doing the same kind of sharing, methods which are often built into other phone's OSes.   E.g. I never click a website's button to do such sharing or note taking.  Partly because I don't...
  Oh, I know the article was just repeating one of the supposed reasons.   I didn't say the article misquoted anybody.     I just don't buy it as a primary reason, since it would only "reduce" injuries for the few who hadn't bought wheelie bags yet.  And reduce by how much?  1%?  100%?  Obviously not.   If you've ever been part of a project like that, you know that you have to come up with as many reasons as possible to justify the expense, even if they're a bit of a...
  It's iPod touch.   With a lowercase "t".   A "Touch" was a phone made by HTC.   I bet that real rednecks actually know that.  It's the city-fied fancy-pants know-it-alls, who do not.   j/k