or Connect

Posts by KDarling

I've been doing such updates for many years.   It's not even close to being like being between houses.  Computer programs are not like individual pieces of furniture.     Programs can be in two places at once.  Done right, both old and new are in the same fully prepared state, and all you're doing is invisibly directing visitors to the new place.   If something goes wrong, you invisibly direct them back to the working version while you figure things out.   It's like...
  Quite the contrary.   Experienced enterprise website developers fully understand the need to have instant rollover to a new version, and quick rollback to a previous working version if necessary.   And, of course, geographic redundancy.   There is no absolutely excuse for a company as big as Apple... especially with its own giant server farm(s)... to have websites that are down for normal maintenance or changes.   Zero.  None.   It's like watching amateurs when they...
Apple is astonishingly bad at updating internet applications.   Many other companies' IT departments are able to swap working versions on the fly, and to quickly fall back to the old version if necessary.   Apple, instead, has server down time... even for their store.
  You're thinking of trademarks.  They have to be defended.   Patent claims do not weaken just by not asserting them.   What DOES lessen, if you delay filing a patent infringement claim, is the amount that can be recovered for PAST infringements (the legal limit is anything over six years prior to filing a complaint).
  Thanks, I give plenty to charity :)   As for gizmos, I've been a full time mobile developer / contractor since the mid 1990s.  So I always have a lot of tablets and smartphones around, both personal and company owned.   However, as far as having multiple tablets, I'm not even that unusual.  Surveys say a lot of US families have multiple iPads and/or eBook readers.  It probably partly depends on how many family members are living in the home.
This is exactly why I like cloud based services.   I am constantly switching between the bathroom iPad, the Note tablet by the couch, and my phone, among other devices.   I can interrupt watching a movie or TV series on Netflix or Amazon Prime video on one device, and then later on when I pick up another device, the cloud knows where I stopped.   Even the bedroom flatscreen TV, which has Netflix built in, knows.   Ditto for composing an email.  I've sometimes...
  Since I work for a corporation that has given its employees tens of thousands of smartphones, I know lots of people who do just that to save money.   But yes, obviously they'd be happier if they had a personal partition where they had more control.   Moreover, look at it the opposite way.  What if the phone is owned by you?   BYOD is a big deal these days, but corporations are justifiably wary, and often require the user to download and use corporate VPN and related...
  Real life is not like that.  People don't like carrying two phones.  Reality is that corporations either buy a specific device and lock it down, or they allow BYOD and worry.   Either way, someone is unhappy.     The whole point of Knox is that administration becomes easier, because the Organization only has to worry about their side of the phone.  They decide the apps, access privileges, etc for that.   On the Personal side, the user can download all the crap they...
    If a terrorist cell is planning an attack, and they suspect that their activity is being monitored, then they might switch to a different cell and/or way of communicating... and you lose your source of info at a critical time.   The reason why comm intercepts have always held the highest classifications, is because knowing any piece or capability of it, can be an aid to whomever is being intercepted.   World War II had an enormous number of examples of how intercepts...
  Samsung specifically, since Knox is their implementation of the secure kernel done by NSA.   Samsung nears deal for FBI and Navy purchases - WSJ   Knox allows for both a personal and a business partition, each totally isolated from the other.