or Connect

Posts by KDarling

Anything's possible, I guess, but this rumor wouldn't seem to work well with current Authentec sensors.   A covering for capacitive or RF is usally only a few microns thick.   Can sapphire slices be made that thin?  Wouldn't carving out a convex version be extremely wasteful, too?   Not to mention that convex sounds like a terrible idea in one's pocket.  A button sticking out is going to get clicked all the time.  That was the whole idea behind the current...
  There's a lot of us who cannot use newer apps, because we're stuck on lower versions.  For example, 85% of all iPod touches ever sold cannot update to iOS 7.   And/or Apple deliberately leaves out something.  40% of all iOS devices ever sold, and 100% of all iPhone 4 and below cannot use Siri, even though they could before Apple bought it.  They're also left out of Airdrop and panoramic photos.   Personally, I find that my iPad 1 comes up with "iOS6 is required" when...
  Their comment would be nonsense only if Apple had not tried to use rounded rectangular design patents.     In this case, though, Apple used designs from real products... unlike that generic rounded rectangular EU registered design that they used to put in lawsuits.     The first one ('757) was dismissed quickly, as no Samsung product looks exactly like it.     The second one ('678) ... for a rounded rectangular faceplate with rounded rectangular speaker slot and a...
  Apple already cross-licensed ALL their non-design patents with HTC last year.   Didn't help.
  The day of the veto, Samsung's stock closed down just one point.   Heck, Apple stock lost more than that today.
  Yes, they're old models.   As I noted in a post this morning:      The accused devices are the Galaxy S 4G, Fascinate, Transform, Captivate, Intercept, Infuse 4G, Galaxy Tab (original) and Galaxy Tab 10.1 (second model).    The reason why Apple keeps pursuing seemingly meaningless bans on old products, is because they want to set a precedent that they can use on current products.   However, the touch scroll patent has already been worked around in later models.  I don't...
  It'd be nice if its protocol was published, but at least Skype is usable across multiple platforms.     Our extended family does use FaceTime when possible, but we're also glad that Skype's around, so that we can always view each other no matter what brand equipment is being used.   As for open, Steve Jobs said back in 2010 that FaceTime was going to be an open standard.  Whatever happened to that?  
  More like Apple put a spotlight on an old idea.   Digital wallets and pass books have been around for years.  Naturally, their icons often look similar, since they're supposed to be like a pocket or wallet.    
It's getting so we need a FAQ to keep track.  For those who are interested:     The four patents in the ITC case are about headphone jack type detection, a design patent for a flat face with a speaker slot, and the commonly asserted Apple patents on scroll direction lock and translucent keyboard overlay.   The accused devices are the Galaxy S 4G, Fascinate, Transform, Captivate, Intercept, Infuse 4G, Galaxy Tab (original) and Galaxy Tab 10.1 (second model).   I don't...
  That's not about touchscreen accuracy, but how the browser implements link target affinity in software.   In other words, whether or not it tries to calculate the most likely touch target.   I don't think the stock Android browser does that, but the later Android Chrome browser often auto-magnifies a target area to make it easier to choose.