or Connect

Posts by KDarling

I didn't say that "analysts never make up anything".   You created that strawman.   I said they didn't make up THIS story on their own, and then I gave a reference to back up that reasoning.
  The analysts didn't make it up on their own.   The story apparently originated with 9to5mac in this article, which said:   "Hints of the new iPhones sales push were described at a secretive summit at San Francisco’s Fort Mason for Apple Retail Store Leaders from across the globe, according to multiple people familiar with the internal event…   "Cook reportedly spoke to Apple’s Retail Store Leaders for approximately three hours. During this time, Cook expressed...
  I think those articles might be confused by the way the ad says, "talk to it and it learns your voice", which is what both Google and Siri do over time.   If the special wakeup phrase requires any training, it would likely have its own immediate special setup. I haven't read anything (yet) about the phrase being customizable, have you?
  As others have pointed out, that doesn't seem very key at all.   All they need to do, is make sure that we can buy and use bands from anywhere.   (For example, I had an Android based smartwatch, and it used standard 20mm bands, so I was able to get a nice leather one to replace the rubberish one that it came with.)
  You're right.  It was a bad edit.  I originally had intended it to say, "It's one of the whole points of LM", but had to leave to pick up my daughter before I could finish.   (In a previous post today on MacRumors, I did talk about the other attributes of LM, such as resistance to corrosion, scratches, and bending.   Those are the reasons why Samsung used it since 2002 for phone parts, and even made an entire phone chassis out of LiquidMetal years before Apple bought up...
Just thinking aloud...   The whole point of LM is the fact that it can be injection molded into shapes, instead of having to be milled.   The article talks about a process to make LM sheets, which is likely not the target shape, but perhaps could be used as raw material for such molds.
  A lot of similar technically incorrect comments in this thread.   Obviously "Google" would not be listening all the time.  That would use impossible amounts of storage, comms and battery.   Instead, the phone itself would be dumbly comparing microphone waveforms for a match to the key phrase, "Okay Google Now", before activating real listening for the followup command.   I wouldn't even be surprised if this was done using a very low power dedicated voice command...
Please do not get started on personal comments again.  That's what wasted this thread before.       The particular legal action the article is referring to, is not about monetary rewards.   It's about getting an injunction.  The offending devices are no longer sold, but that's not the point.  Simplified, what Apple wants is to get the regular court system to lower the bar for injunctions.  That is, to decide that monetary compensation is not usually enough if a patent is...
Having spent almost two decades creating such apps, I'd categorize them this way (and even this doesn't hit all the variations)...   Native app - standalone client code meant to be installed locally.  E.g. the GMail app from the App Store.   Online web browser app - requires browser to access and run client code that is always downloaded from a web server.  E.g. GMail using Safari to access  http://mail.google.com   Offline web browser app - also browser...
  Samsung's been making both semiconductors and phones for a very long time now.     Apple supposedly invested billions in one or more display makers, in order to help boost their production and R&D capabilities.