or Connect

Posts by KDarling

As much as I think that BBOS 10 is a wonderful achievement...   From my enterprise app point of view, Blackberry shot themselves in the foot by totally switching OSes in an effort to please mass consumers and reviewers, instead of keeping faith with the corporations and their developers who had invested so much in custom apps for the older devices.   Microsoft did the same thing with Windows Phone, breaking away from all the WinMo developers.   Both should've...
  That's correct.  Since it's not sold as a product, it wasn't intended to be a commercial success in that sense.  It's not like Microsoft with Windows.     Yep.  HTC, Samsung and Hon Hai (the parent company of Foxconn) have all signed licensing agreements with Microsoft.  AFAIK, Google and Motorola have not.     Google pays various entities a fee to make them the default search engine.  For instance, the Mozilla Foundation gets a few hundred million dollars a year for...
  Why would any ad agency say nice things about a competitor's ads?   It's not ad agencies who are talking them up.  It's the ad analysts.     Ace Metrix doesn't make ads.   They analyze ads.  The mass consumer has no idea what they think, but companies want to.   Samsung signed up with Ace Metrix, as did other companies, to have them look at their current and future ads and predict how well they'll do with consumers, so the ads can be fine tuned.   Considering that...
  Ah, got it now.  Yes, that makes sense.  I also go to the iPad if I'm at home with it around.   If I'm out at a restaurant or someplace with family though, I rarely have a tablet with me, so a large screened phone is the next best thing.     For sure the case type can make a big difference as to both how nice it is to hold, and how easy to pocket!
  If it was just them saying Apple's ads were not the best these days, that'd be one thing.   However, there has been a sequence of advertising observers over the past year who have given top marks to Samsung ads and lower marks to Apple's ad agency attempts.  Which is understandable, considering flops like the "Genius" series of ads.   A few months back, even the creator of the "iMac" name and the "Think Different" ad talked about the...
  Did his come with the Avatar movie included?   If so, it was the T-Mobile Galaxy S version, the Vibrant. (I had the Verizon version in my lab for testing.)    It had a 4" OLED screen and really didn't have the same body shape as the 3GS at all.  No curved smooth back.  The front was different, too, with multiple touch buttons.     The cables were quite different from what Apple used.  Samsung used micro USB with all their phones.     I think between the shape and the...
    This, at least for high end phones.  The more that Samsung went different, the more attractive their devices seemed to become.   Apple had a grid of static icons on a static background.  Samsung's phones focused on a homescreen based around widgets and live wallpapers, and later on, multiple and overlay windows.   They also went separate ways with their body style.  Apple went boxy starting with the iPhone 4, whereas Samsung went with light and curvy.   Most...
  Then you don't need a bigger screen, that's all.  And that's okay, although comparing them to iPads is just silly.  Even a 4.8" Samsung phone is barely larger than an iPhone, due to far less bezel.   Those of us who do like larger screens, appreciate the extra size while still a very portable handheld.  (The slimness and curvature make Samsung phones easy to slip in and out of pockets.)   I like a larger screen for viewing photos/videos with family or friends, surfing...
  It was Apple's last sentence in this submission quoted below, where they claimed the patent was submitted as FRAND too late:   "Of course, for all the reasons found by the ALJ and discussed in Apple’s earlier briefing—e.g., the technical problems with Samsung’s allegations; [section blacked out ]; and the standards misconduct (both as to FRAND and untimely disclosure) that renders Samsung’s patents unenforceable —  Apple should not have to pay any royalty at...
  The same way that they brought out the iPad mini after their CEO claimed that the original model was the minimum size for tablets, and that any smaller would require sandpapered fingertips.