or Connect

Posts by KDarling

So Steve Jobs was right when he asked his staff back in 2003:   "What are tablets good for besides surfing the Web on the toilet?"     Btw, to the other poster, there are such book agreements for technical libraries.  Pretty costly though.   I thought Amazon Prime had free book rentals, btw.  At least for some books.  Am I misremembering?
  As I just noted above, the FAA doesn't give blanket approval to such devices.   Each is authorized in its own situation, which is why each airline proudly announces when they themselves have made it through the process.   Frankly, choosing the iPad these days is kind of like when we used to say that "Nobody gets fired for choosing IBM".   It's the safe choice, not only because even non-tech CEOs have heard of it, but for actual good reasons:   In general, you want to...
  Perhaps as something that "could have been".  But...   It couldn't interact with any other devices (except speakers). Third parties could not sell apps for it.
  Correct.  Not individually tested, but that particular model is tested in the particular cockpit area where it will be used.  That's one device in a tiny area.   Such testing is not practical to do for all the possible combinations of every type of device in the world, in every possible location in the passenger cabin. 
  To be clear, note that the FAA does not approve devices.  No model of the iPad is "approved" on its own.   The FAA authorizes each device's use in a particular setup done by each airline, involving mounting, testing, coming up with methods and procedures, checklists, and training.  Then it's tried out for months in real life, and after all that, gets an interim authorization... followed by fleet training... followed by final FAA approval.
  Without a thick bezel, it doesn't look like an iPhone at all.   It does evoke other square watchfaces:    
  Evil is relative.  At least they license the patents they own, so that anyone can use the technology.   The result can be better for everyone.. companies and consumers... than when, say, Apple bought up Fingerworks, or Authentec, or the rights to LiquidMetal usage, and forever denied that tech to all those who had already been using it for years before Apple got interested.     Don't get me started on vague software patents.  Or software patents in general....
  Fair enough... heck, I'm all for questioning figures... but did you question their figures when they were positive for Apple in India?  Or when Apple used them in their earnings call?  Why wait until they're negative.   (Although I wouldn't really call this news negative.  It's just that in India, less expensive and/or native country designed, phones sell better.  It's not expected to be a good market for the current iPhone.)     The reason why so many quote IDC (and...
  Depends on whether or not you believe what Apple says, since Apple itself quoted IDC extensively in their last earnings call:       They also quoted Gartner, comScore, and Kantar, where things were positive.   As the for numbers, I wouldn't trust anyone's future estimates past a few months.  However, current and past estimates are usually pretty good, since they're able to do more checks on them, using information released by the companies.   The upshot is, people tend...
  Which statement?      The one where I said that it was the salespeople who talked customers in buying something other than an iPhone?   We're saying basically the same thing.       The Blackjack competed directly with the Motorola Q, which had come out a year before  They both ran Windows Mobile, so no, they didn't act like a Blackberry.   Neither did they look exactly like the Blackberrys that had come before, although the screen + keyboard combo was meant to attract...