or Connect

Posts by KDarling

The moment you actually use a Windows Phone, you realize that the text going off the screen is an elegant and minimalist way of indicating that there is more content in that direction, reachable by scrolling towards it.   From its minimalism to its typography to its active tiles, I often think of Windows Phone UI's innovations as being more like what one would've expected from Apple.   --   As for iOS7, it's basically the same iOS with different colors and a few...
  No sir, I said nothing about such home screens.   I said that it would make a good example for the iPad to come with a full complement of 6 icons in its dock.     It's a common sense default that would help users, who would otherwise never know they could do it.     Except that most of my Android tablets cost as much, if not more, as my iOS devices.   As for screen persistence in tablet dock mode, it doesn't matter whether it's AMOLED or LCD, Android or iOS, they both...
  Yes, exactly.  For the user, functionality is far more important, and on iOS that often depends more on the device model year, than on the OS version or the actual capabilities of the hardware.   For the developer, API support is important... and on Android, that's not always dependent on the version number, since Google distributes back compatible libraries for many new features.     Articles should not conflate these two needs.     Ironic, since I was using the same...
  Reporters?  Wedding photographers?  (Let someone back at home base realtime edit the incoming photos and have a book ready by the end of reception, to hand out.)   I have several friends who bought those EyeFi camera SD cards simply because it would upload their pictures automatically whenever they got near a hotspot.  They'd love an LTE version.   Not every product in the world needs to sell in the hundreds of millions.   Heck, look at Apple TV.  It's been just a...
Infringing on a patent is all about the claim construction (wording).  Even a missing comma can mean infringement, or not.   Quiz for the day. What's the difference between the following three claims in Apple's rubber band patent?  Why were two of the three claims recently invalidated by the Patent Office?   Exactly why did Samsung infringe on the remaining one?   CLAIM X displaying a first portion of an electronic document; detecting a movement of an...
  And less intuitive.  The default setup should be an example of what can be done.   I run across iOS users all the time, who had no idea that they could put more than four icons in their dock.   I do hope that Ive decides to do something different with the iPad homescreen.  There's so much room on a tablet screen, it just cries out to be used for default displays of information, especially when docked.  (Beyond just the iOS built-in picture frame mode.)   Long ago,  I...
Apparently the HTC One is selling pretty well.   It's in third place in the US behind the iP5 and GS4... and that's being only on what, a couple of carriers?   I know that I'm leaning towards it instead of a GS4, now that Verizon has said they'll be selling the One later this summer as well.
  True, but melodramatic.  How about:   100% of Android users with access to a market can download a Google Now or Siri equivalent.   100% of iPhone 4 owners cannot use Siri... even though their device would've been able to if Apple hadn't bought it.   ~40% of iOS devices ever sold can't use Siri.  (Even more have been left out of Airdrop, panoramic photos, etc.)   ~85% of iPod touch devices ever sold are left out of iOS 7 upgrade.   See. Anyone can come up with fun...
  Not according to Apple CEO Tim Cook, who has used it to mean app stores in general. For instance, during a public quarterly call he said:   "We've got the largest app store ..."   and   "... iPhone's integrated approach is materially better than Android's fragmented approach, where you have multiple OSes on multiple devices with different screen resolutions and multiple app stores with different ... "   He could've used another term like  "app markets" ,  "app...
  Hey, thanks for the heads up.   That Galaxy S4 Active looks interesting.   Reviewers are saying it has a more substantial feeling case, an LCD screen instead of AMOLED, and it's waterproof to 3 feet for up to 30 minutes.  Yet it's still slim.   If Apple made a waterproof model, I bet it'd sell like hotcakes.  (Yeah, I know you can get a case.  Not the same thing.)