or Connect

Posts by KDarling

Yep.  You're saying the same thing that I am.     It's the combination of the two words that should be the debate topic, not whether "app" or "click" by themselves are generic terms.
  I absolutely agree that Apple made the word "app" popular with the mass populace.  However, the term was well known already to smaller groups.   The fact that a generic term isn't well known to the mass public, does not mean it belongs to the first person to make it popularly known.   There must be millions of such terms in the medical, engineering, aviation, marine, manufacturing, archaeological, heck... any!... field.   Remember, Apple also made the term "multi-touch"...
  "Application" predates Apple.  "Killer app" predates NeXT.   And "app" had been used for handheld programs for many years before the iPhone came along.                 You're right that Apple is good at making things popular....e.g. white phones or phrases like "app store"... but they didn't invent white phones, and they cannot trademark a merely descriptive name.   Still, the same words can be trademarked if the words become exclusively associated with a certain...
  Reading comprehension is important.  He never said he actually gave it away.  He said he was willing to.      Mr. Benioff said, “and I went up to (Jobs) and said, ‘I have a gift for you. I’m going to give you the trademark and the URL because of the help you gave me in 2003.’”   Perhaps Jobs ignored him.  Perhaps Apple's lawyers thought they needed a history of fighting for the mark.  Whatever the reason, Apple filed an opposition anyway.   My source is the USPTO, not...
A good opportunity to review the timeline:   2006 xxx - Salesforce applies for trademark on "AppStore".   2008 Jul -  Apple applies for trademark on "App Store". 2008 Aug - Salesforce application approved, pending any opposition. 2008 Nov - Apple files opposition to Salesforce trademark. 2008 Dec - Salesforce abandons trademark. (It was NOT transferred to Apple.)   2009 Mar - USPTO turns down App Store as being "merely...
  What the heck is "illegal invalidation"?   However, I think you have a germ of an idea there.  Apple will often keep doing even silly things, if they think it's necessary to support their legal claims.   For example, Apple still ships iPads with a default of only four icons in the dock, even if it's dumb to not have at least six. They do this to try to back up their trade dress assertion that showing four dock icons is an "ornamental" choice and not just functionally...
  Anyone with a decent education knows that when the time is right, advances will take place (barring any religious or other dampening interference).   Assembly lines were coming with or without Ford.  Electric light even if Edison had never lived.  Steamships without Fulton.  Flight without the Wright brothers, absolutely.  Automobiles, trains, computers, GUIs... all these things would appear no matter what, because the technology and markets were ripe for them.   What...
  Rubin left Danger in 2003 to start Android... a half decade before Microsoft bought the first company.
The whole point of the article is that Apple is pretty much alone in using in-cell...     The fact that in-cell uses one less layer of glass is not considered a big deal when it comes to thickness, since glass layers these days are on the order of 0.5 mm thin each.  That's less than 2/100ths of an inch saved by in-cell.   Moreover, Apple also still uses LCDs instead of AMOLEDs.   LCDs require a couple of layers behind them for the backlight and polarizer;...
  Hey, I bought a refurb about the same time for my daughter.   It's been through a lot of drops, and I love its battery life.   However, Safari and other apps like YouTube quite often crash back to the homescreen nowadays.   Probably time to try a hard reset.