or Connect

Posts by KDarling

The cheap $20m price tag also is a big clue that the project didn't do as much as reporters say.   From what I've read (and can guess from my MI / ASA background), it's probably more like each company is required to save all the data where NSA can access it... but NSA doesn't constantly look at all of it.   Instead, they probably just do targeted searches on words, names and phone numbers that they suspect of being foreign nationals (*) engaged in terrorism planning....
  You mean YOU would be unhappy.  Some of us would not :)     That's a valid point, especially if you let the phone get low on charge.  Interestingly, an inductive charger makes that less likely (at least in my case), because I'm more likely to plop the phone on it any chance I got.     Nope, not if it also has magnets like the Palm Touchstone had.  The phone aligns and stays at a nice viewing angle.   My son-in-law kept a Touchstone at home, at the office, and in his...
    Great point about the article being vague.   However (and correct me if I'm wrong), I think you meant to say that "a patent on the glass trackpad would be a UTILITY patent."   In this case, the patent number starts with a "D", which means it's a Design (ornamental) patent... and such patents cannot include functionality. (That is what utility patents are for.)
  That massive UDID leak was't from the FBI.  It turned out to be from an app company.
  Apparently people were buying more than ever.  At least, in the high end, at the end of last year.  From their 4Q 2012 earnings release:   "Although demand for home appliances retreated in the December quarter due to a tepid global economy, Samsung saw increased sales of high-end refrigerators and washers in the U.S. and in European markets. "

Actually, a lot of the time they can, because Google often provides API shims for use on older devices.   Not that it matters a lot.  Most apps written for either iOS or Android don't need anything but basic APIs that have been around for years.      As Frood pointed out, because even core apps are separated from the OS, Android devices get core app updates all the time.  This greatly reduces the need for the kind of updates that iOS devices need.   There's also no need...
  GSM phones use another radio, a CDMA one, for 3G.   (More exactly, they use WCDMA to implement UMTS-3G.)
  Hey, thanks.  Pretty cool article.  Of course, it's a different situation:   That Android tablet project is about cellular enabled tablets given to mobile community health workers to use outside of a hospital.   It also points out how ROI can have different contexts.   In the Android article, they talk about being able to save 10 minutes for each home visit by not having to boot a laptop.  They additionally save another hour a day by not having to come into an office to...
  Doesn't Apple keep about 1/3 of their cash in the USA?   Look up Braeburn Capital.   Its' Apple's investment arm, based in Nevada (which a lot of companies do so they don't have to pay California corporate taxes on the earnings).