or Connect

Posts by KDarling

I don't rely on fansites or Mueller.  I always read the source documents myself, and research the cited case law.   In denying the injunction, and in the section on Inadequacy of Money Damages, Judge Koh wrote that she believed Apple had suffered some harm due to lost sales (even though Apple failed to prove how much).   She also noted past Apple licensing:   "However, Apple’s licensing activity suggests that Apple does not believe that these patents are priceless, such...
  None of the devices in the first trial that violated trade dress are still being sold.   AFAIK, any others no longer infringe on the Apple patents in the trial, due to software changes.   As for a decision about not needing a causal nexus, that was just one of multiple injunction legs required.  Another major requirement was that monetary damages would not suffice to compensate.  Apple's lawyers already blew that one by presenting evidence that they had offered to...
  PalmOS has nothing in common with webOS.   The latter is a multitasking Linux kernel system, with an HTML based UI.     HTC used to be a name unknown to most consumers, even though they designed and built many Windows Mobile and Palm devices for other companies.  
  Why?     The rest of us are smart enough that we don't need anyone to do that for us.   Surprise.  We understand normal conversation idioms.
  If you're going to nitpick him, at least be smart enough to realize that a lot of the 200 would be children.  (An adult with kids would think of that right away.)   An astute reader would also presume that he was referring to his impression of those who had smartphones, not everyone with regular phones as well.   So half of the adults with smartphones could probably work out to be about a dozen.     What Android feature phones?   Samsung has no such thing.
  Speaking of which, Strategy Analytics just came out with another report that says, in part:   "In the second half of 2012 existing smartphone owners were most likely to be interested in devices with a screen size between 4.2-inches and 4.7-inches.  [This was an increase] from the same period in 2011, where a 4.3-inch device was most preferred.   "[People thinking of buying their first smartphone] show greater interest in slightly smaller devices than existing smartphone...
  SA's definition: "A smartphone is a handheld device that matches cellular voice and data capabilities with a branded high- level operating system such as Android, iOS, Blackberry, Windows Phone, Symbian, Meego, Tizen, Bada, webOS ."
  Easy way out?  Easy way out?!!  :)   That's exactly the path that Apple took with their (expletive deleted) pixel doubling strategy to begin with.  They did this to encourage development by all the developers unused to better programming.   It's why there's ridiculous results like iPhone apps being tiny on an iPad (or jagged doubled), and black bands on the iPhone 5 to hide unused screen space.   It reminds me of one reason that PCs took over.   Everyone else was doing...
  "Retina" depends on distance.   It uses the same calculations that were used for "print quality".   The assumption is that at 12", 300 PPI is the average person's eye resolution.  (For people with better eyesight, it would have to be denser.)   The closer you get, the smaller that pixels must be.  At 6", a "retina" display would require 595 PPI.   That said, this rumor sounds a bit crazy.  Apple would be far, far better off promoting resolution independence in developer...
My first thought about these options was that they'll be used in SNL skits some day.   Scene 1 - Automatic volume depending on distance   Tom:  "What?  Speak up.  I can't hear you." Bob:  "Dummy!  Hold the phone closer to your ear!" Tom:  "I did that, but you didn't get any louder!"   Scene 2 - Automatic speaker phone mode depending on distance   Boss: "Is that your phone ringing?  Go ahead and answer it." Person: "Hello?  Oh hi honey....