or Connect

Posts by KDarling

Ah, a Tricorder fan.   I wonder what the original Mark I Tricorders are going for on eBay?  You know the one I mean: the TR-107 made by Vital Technologies around 1996 or so.  It had a colorimeter, thermometer, magnetometer, barometer.   Perhaps they need another hundred years to pick up in price :)      I suspect that Tricorder hero props go for more money.   --   Speaking of sensors, I read that the Galaxy S4 includes not only the usual accelerometer, gyro and...
  Didn't Steve Jobs famously cancel plans for an Apple museum when he returned as CEO?    He felt that people should look forward, not back.   That said, a lot of people agree with you.
  Multi-touch had been around for decades before Apple used it. None of the patents in this case are about multi-touch.   Got a link?  The only such policy I can find is their Non-Assertion Pledge about patents use in Free or Open Source software... as long as nobody sues them first.     True, Apple's lawyers have dragged FRAND cases through the courts for years, delaying paying for SEP usage.   Several times Federal judges have thrown out Apple lawsuits with...
  Seriously, what is wrong with you, that you cannot hold a conversation without resorting to personal attacks?   It's as if you're so unsure of your own opinion, that you have to preemptively diss everyone else's.     You're probably right (although I do often have TV news on and work at the same time).  What do you suggest as a better demo?     What's even more amazing (and sad), are the internet bullies here who seem totally clueless how childish they sound calling...
  Demonstrably false.   The US didn't really have software patents until the early to mid 1990s.  There was plenty of innovation before then, and plenty since then that has not been patented. There are hundreds of thousands of apps available, and I'd bet almost none have patent protection, yet there they are. Apple has made incredible piles of money even without getting injunctions.     Trade dress and copyright used to be the only way that software was protected in...
  The ad was clearly talking about viewing multiple apps on the same screen.  (They showed Outlook being used at the same time as viewing a video.)       You really think that'll happen?
  Their web page says the recovery team is made up of about 45 members who are ex-cops, military, FBI, etc... with a combined 1,000 years of experience in law enforcement.   I thought they only operated in the US, but the page says they've recovered "25,000 devices in over 95 countries".   I can't imagine they'd spend much money flying people around to get back a single phone, but who knows.
As far as the images go, the most likely explanation is the simplest one:   The page developer is probably not an expert at sizing graphics exactly, and/or wanted the bezels to line up nice and pretty.  (I'd even half bet that their boss made them do that, so it'd look better.)   The best move is to write MS and let them know about the goof, and see if they change it.  Looks like they already removed the "bigger touchscreen" part.
MRC accredited list, 
  First, thank you for your reasoned and well written post.   I've commented on the related '604 patent claims before, here.  Also, here's my post about why appeals judges have rejected Apple's proposed trial claim construction.  (Here's another article about that rejection.)   The '959 patent's claim permutations seem even more obvious.     It was the era of local search engines becoming popular.  E.g. the desktop Copernic search app came out in 1996 for PCs.     Yep....