or Connect

Posts by KDarling

The estimates actually look really good.  As I noted, they're totally in line with known info.  If you can research anything better, please show us.   In any case, even if we took just the known 1Q 2011, US sales of the accused devices were less than 1/6th of world sales.     Agreed, especially in the US where cell phones are subsidized.   Moreover, in the US, the iPad rules.   That's why I said it was even MORE likely that Samsung tablet sales were greater outside the...
  Do you mean the lawsuit that started early last year, which included the so-called "universal search" patent?  That patent would not apply here, since the search is done on the internet.   As for voice search like Apple's, remember that Siri started as a DARPA project paid for by our tax dollars.  That's why much of the original Stanford Research Institute (SRI - thus "Siri") code is available for public download.   (Apple bought what a commercial group had done with...
  What about the patents in this trial that Samsung claims Apple infringed?  Did Apple search out and copy the methods in those patents?  No, it's a ridiculous idea about either side. --   This trial is not about willful copying.  It's about infringement of a software patent, which is almost always accidental due to independent development.   It's about two companies, each trying to prove that the other one implemented some code method that the first company managed to...
    Some of it was taxed overseas, some not. The Washington Post says:   "One of Apple’s Irish affiliates reported profits of $30 billion between 2009 and 2012, but because it did not technically belong to any country, it paid no taxes to any government. Another paid a tax rate of 0.05 percent in 2011 on $22 billion in earnings, according to the report."     It apparently didn't work that way the last time there was a tax holiday for major corporations.   "Companies had a...
  I finally got a few free minutes to do some checking.   Samsung did cite smartphone sales for 1Q 2011 in their earnings report, and they're in line with estimates afterwards.  Using those and the trial figures, we get:     Those numbers indicate that US sales as reported for the trial were a small minority of the world total.   So it seems believable that Samsung could've likewise sold 2 million tablets worldwide during one quarter, with only 260K of the infringing...
  None of the insider conspiracy theories that you keep coming up with make any sense, timewise.   Besides the fact that they'd have had to have display orders before the iPhone was shown off, AND realize it was for a phone instead of an iPod...   AFTER JANUARY 2007 EVERYONE ON THE PLANET KNEW WHAT APPLE'S PHONE LOOKED LIKE. NO INSIDE INFO NEEDED.   Manufacturing didn't begin for months after that, and it was done by Foxconn.     This fantasy also makes no sense, unless...
  Windows CE tablets and slates were around since the beginning of the century.  Very popular in the field worker field.  We even had custom versions manufactured just for our projects.     As for media, Amazon's been in that business a long time with or without Android.  Would Google rather the Fire used the Play Market for apps?  Perhaps so.   Otherwise, I think Google looks at it like I do:  it's just another embedded device that could've used any OS, including a...
  Whoa.  They might call that a "watch", but it's more like one of the old wrist computer ideas.   Here are some Android based watches that fit the "watch" description better:               Personally, I would be a bit disappointed if all Apple did was a watch in the same style, and make it require an iPhone nearby.  I think they have something else up their sleeve.  (Sorry, couldn't resist.)       Yep, I think we're all convinced (and hopeful) that the next big mobile...
  Some keep repeating this idea, yet it makes no sense.    What "close knowledge of Apple's operations" would Samsung have had, that let it grow into the world's largest smartphone manufacturer?      Samsung is not Foxconn.  Samsung didn't manufacture iPhones.   All Samsung would've known about is how many CPU, Flash memory, and displays Apple was contracted to buy from them.    From parts orders, Samsung would've known nothing ahead of time about case designs, the OS or...
  Google encourages the use of Android on devices other than smartphones.   They themselves use it for Google Glass and Google TV.   Several companies use it for smartwatches.   There are Android based automobile multimedia systems.  Game consoles.  Cameras.  Headphones.  Etc.    None of those device makers need to belong to the OHA, which is primarily a handset group.   Encouraging the free use of Android helps Google because it creates more people and companies that are...