or Connect

Posts by KDarling

Well, let's see.  Roughly... for a thousand mile flight, a jet (like a 737) would burn an extra pound of fuel for every extra nine pounds of cargo.  So ten pounds fuel would be saved by leaving out a 90 pound pile of paper.      Ten pounds is about 1-1/2 gallons of jet fuel.   Jet-A averages $5.50 a gallon, so that's about $8 per flight.  Doesn't sound like much, but the key is the number of aircraft and flights.   The USAF has about 800 cargo aircraft.  If each flies...
  What kind of phone store do you work at?  Is it large?  Or a kiosk? Is it in a good location?     You might notice from other posts that I don't think much of percentages without knowing actual numbers.  I've also been around long enough to usually think in terms of years, and not just about right now.    Remember when Apple only thought they could get 1% of the world smartphone market?  Huawei is already over 4%.   In 2008, Apple's net profits from iPhones were...
  Interesting thought, but I think its basis is flawed.    Selling chips to Apple didn't give insider info about the iPhone's shape, OS, etc.  At most, it might've foretold a few basic specs (display size, CPU speed).   Everything else that's really important was available the moment the phone was shown off.   In other words, Intel and Microsoft (and Samsung and everyone else) had everything they needed to know about the iPhone in January 2007.
  Back then it would've been normal to pick a stock part (Apple wasn't designing ARM SoCs yet), and that's exactly what his comment said:   "there was a chip that they were interested in, that they wanted to pay a certain price for "   Knowing smartphone history (and having our memory jogged by dreyfus2), it seems totally clear that Apple wanted an Intel XScale CPU, which used the ARMv5 architecture.   By 2005/2006, the XScale was the CPU in many of the better...
  No, Samsung did not report that.  A Korean newspaper did, and Samsung declined to comment.     Samsung sells about 40% of the Android phones, and is individually making the most revenue, but they're not the only ones making money.     Huawei, Lenovo, ZTE, and newcomer Xiaomi (supposedly called the "Apple of the East") are among many Android manufacturers doing well.   Early last year was the year of making money from cheap phones for Samsung.  This year seems to be the...
  That's true.  An XScale was THE hot smartphone processor at the time.  
  False premise.  It was not just one flight.  There have been many reports of PED interference.   (And many reports of batteries and chargers catching fire.  As I said, those really worry me.  A fire at altitude has brought down more than one airliner.)     Another false premise. We really have no idea what problems that pilots have had to often work around, and never filed a report on.  For example, GSM buzz can make it difficult to hear ATC, but pilots would not file...
  Likewise, Samsung sales are in progress.   I'm sure you'll acknowledge that they will sell at least 10 million to end users, even if it takes a few weeks after the retailer count is reported.   Don't forget that Apple is very often in the exact same situation of end user sales taking a while, after they get their production caught up.  They also count shipments that are filling up the inventory channel.  Heck, at least count there's over 11 million iPhones like that....
  Oh, I agree.   The "half" referred only to phones being upgraded, btw.  (I should't have used "devices" but thought it was clear from the "upgrade" comment.)  My fault.
  No sir, they were not all sales to end users.   In fact, that's why analysts were so unhappy with the first weekend having "only" one million more than the iPhone 4S a year prior, which was in two fewer countries.  Everyone had expected a lot more sales the first weekend, because those sales include retailers filling inventory.  Thus it was seen as a case of retailers holding back due to low expected demand. (*)   For example, among others, ISI Group's Brian Marshall...