or Connect

Posts by KDarling

I was going by a report I grabbed last year which asked what people did with their old phones when they upgraded.   About half sold / gifted their previous iPhone.  About half kept it as a souvenir.     No doubt iPhones are passed down or sold more often, because they're more desirable when used.   At the same time, many of the people I know have enough wealth to not need to sell their old phones, and they keep their kids updated as well.  (The only person I know who...
  Yes, it's the grand total.   It's the same as when we see articles that report, "500 million iOS devices have been sold", even though half of the people who have upgraded stuck their old device in a drawer each time.   Edit:  I see SoX has already answered about Amazon: http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/27/2827545/andy-rubin-850k-android-activations-a-day-300m-total-devices-12m
  I think you're remembering the headlines from other places (e.g. BGR), who along with everyone else, recently reprinted someone's calculation that Android would hit a billion before the end of 2013.     I think you meant 100+ million Android phones per quarter.   While Samsung is the largest individual Android phone seller, they "only" contribute about 40-45% of the total Android sales.  E.g. in a quarter where Samsung sells 60 million Android smartphones;  others sell...
After a while it gets ridiculous and meaningless, no matter which OS.   Headlines in the year 2030:  "Device type X has now passed 100 trillion activations since they first came out two decades ago."   So what.
Here's another one about false collision alerts.  There are more of these in the files.   Note that several times the pilots get a false RA (Resolution Advisory) -  CLIMB! or DESCEND!  from the Collision Avoidance system.  It got so bad that they start to ignore it.  In the meantime, wonder what what the passengers thought with the plane climbing or descending rapidly at times.   As the pilot pointed out, a false RA at low altitude with max weight could be...
Oh that's interesting.  The source Bloomberg story was:     As it happens, I think I have a copy of that particular ASRS report:     I'll see if I can post others later on.   (*) DG mode means using only the gyros, which become inaccurate after a while.
  This is correct.  Even a simple charter jet will be using an HSI slaved remotely to a gyro and a flux compass over wires.   An airliner will be using a FMS (Flight Management System) that takes info from the VOR/DME radios, Inertial Reference System (if it has one) and/or GPS receiver (if it has one).  The FMS controls the autopilot.  TCAS receivers in the tail give alerts.  All of this is wired together and susceptible to interference.     Frankly, because reporters...
  Thanks.  I also ran across this very informational video about how the sapphire is made, and how much it would cost to use on a smartphone (currently $30, in mass production perhaps $10-$15... versus $3 for Gorilla Glass).  
  iOS was targeted (legally) for a long time, in order to collect Contacts info to send to spam producers.  Why do you think Apple belatedly added the Contact permission popup?   As for "gullible", you don't need a malware app to get some people to send money in hopes of getting more money.  That's just a classic scam, and it's not something that just happens on Android or in apps.  Such scams happen far, far more often via websites, email, texts.  The report simply...
I've researched the cases of PED (Portable Electronic Device) interference reported in ASRS.   There have been everything from GSM buzz in the pilots' headphones interfering with hearing air traffic controllers, to navigation instruments acting up, to autopilots disengaging mysteriously near landing... all until some passenger turned off their device.   Recently Boeing engineers discovered, while testing a WiFi system, that some personal devices kept ramping up...