or Connect

Posts by KDarling

Qualcomm would get 3.3% of the OnStar device cost.
  Perhaps you're thinking of Qualcomm.   Infineon chips never had a license contract for Samsung's patents, until Intel bought the company in January 2011.   E.g. as noted last year, in a case in the Netherlands..   "The court did not find Samsung's patent rights to be exhausted with respect to baseband chips Apple purchased from Infineon until January 2011.   "Concerning baseband chips Apple subsequently purchased from Intel (which acquired Infineon's mobile baseband...
  No sir, it's based on the entire device.  This is an indisputable fact.   Read the full DOJ document to get a better feel for the context, and when I get time later today I'll also post more sources to help you out.   Hint: it makes no sense to base IP licenses on the cost of a physical chip.   Chips can drop in price dramatically over time, but the value of the IP does not.   Imagine that you had a patent on say, ramdisk software.  The fact that RAM prices have dropped...
  Not debating that the starting negotiation rate was high, but that aside...   The physical chip price is totally irrelevant to licensing.  It could cost $150 to make at first, and a few years later cost only $15 to make.  Price drops happen all the time as production gets better.   Instead, what matters for licensing is the value of the related IP.   This is why Apple (and everyone else) pays Qualcomm twice.  Once for the stock (or custom) chipset that they will solder...
  It's understandable that you're confused, since this piece has rarely been mentioned.   The article and I were talking about the same part of the ITC ruling, which is the patent exhaustion section, that begins like this:    
  Right, the patent exhaustion defense is only applicable to sales conducted INSIDE the US.   Apple has bent over backwards to make sure most of its business is legally done OUTSIDE the US, in order to avoid paying US taxes.   Unfortunately, a company cannot always eat its cake, and keep it too.  Saying that sales are based overseas in places like Ireland, comes with both pros and cons.     As noted many times before, that rate method has long been standard for ETSI...
  The Knowledge Navigator wasn't a real project.  It was a fantasy video made for an educational convention to make it look like Apple was working on such things.   As the director of the educational marketing group inside Apple who made the video noted,   "NeXT claimed to be focused exclusively on the higher education market. Many of the higher ed(ucation) influencers and decision makers were saying that Apple had no vision for its future product line. John Sculley was...
  As long as it's available from somewhere.     Updates have been a big deal for their owners, since smartphones first came out.     Can't speak for Symbian, but Blackberrys got updates.   Windows Mobile phones sometimes went through several major versions.   A really big one was the update to Windows Mobile 5, which added persistent storage support.  (Prior to that, everything was kept in battery powered RAM.  If your phone went dead, you lost all your info and had to...
  Good questions, and you actually answered them with your guesses.   (The reason this is so late, is that I originally wrote up a long and detailed response.  However, I don't think people read those. So I waited until I had a weekend to cut a much shorter version.)   --   The common response you see from any infringement defendant (Apple, Motorola, Samsung, et al) is to argue the patent ... is invalid, if valid, it doesn't apply to them, if it does apply, it's...