or Connect

Posts by KDarling

Back to the sapphire button.  I was thinking about it this morning.   Synthetic sapphire cannot be molded, it has to be grown for days and then cut.  A concave shape would be relatively costly and a waste of material.     On the other hand, it would be pretty cool marketing-wise.  A sapphire under your finger!   Then I wondered about its electrical properties.  Is it a good choice for capacitive touch?  As it turns out, it's fine. There's even a smartphone...
  Or it could simply be one of your college roommates thinking it'd be fun to share your personal photos and email with everyone else in the dorm :)   (Thinking back to some of the similar immature pranks we pulled in college listening in on phone lines, hiding shaving cream on objects, putting sleeping hands in warm water, etc.)
  Didn't know I was gone  :)   I just thought that the way the numbers were presented, was extra clever.   Whoever wrote the article should get a raise, and/or be in marketing!
  Such examples are very short-lived, usually only one or two quarters at most before they're exposed.   Samsung has continued to report revenue increases and sales milestones for a couple of years now.     Samsung does not disclose products shipped, either, but they do disclose revenue from which extrapolations can be made, partly from their public milestone announcements for major products.     Definitely Gartner can be terrible at predictions.  They seem to be much...
  You're shaking your head at the wrong person.   I'm using the figures from THEIR article, which is about the loss during an 8 week period.   Don't like the numbers?  Talk to the sources..   PS.  You're saying the iP5 original retail price is $535? 
  It's not plural possessive.  It's singular.  "For the sake of goodness."     In English, " 's " would not be added to a word that ends in "s" already, since the extra one would not be pronounced. ( You do not say "For goodness's sake")   http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/for+goodness'+sake   http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=978082   PS.  Not that I don't appreciate your attempt.  I actually believe that grammar police help everyone become more polished...
  Very clever, using percentages to make it sound like a GS3 owner loses more than an iP5 owner.    Then, later on, the details come out, but worded to make it harder to mentally notice the difference:     Using those numbers,   IP5 = $535 - $465 = $70 loss in value over the time period GS3 = $360 - $320 = $40 loss in value over the time period   The difference is not "despite" the iP5 being more expensive.  It's because of it.
Oh for goodness' sake.   1) Newbies cannot accidentally sideload an app.  They have to first go find and purposely turn on "Load from unknown sources" and on some phones, also turn off "Disallow or warn before installation of apps that may cause harm."   2) Look at the list of threats.  Almost all affect a small, targeted group that sideload an app in China or India, etc.  They include sideloaded apps aimed at Tibetan human rights activists, and my favorite,  "A...
  Thank you very much.   It'll be interesting to see the FCC SAR report on this.   Using phone bezels and trim for antennas is actually an old technique, predating the iPhone 4.   The difference is, the iPhone 4 seemed to use the bezel as just one section of an overall slot antenna system, with more pieces inside the phone itself.   The segmentation was both a clever improvement and its Achille's heel at the same time.
  POS software is popular on any kind of tablet.  E.g. AccuPOS:         Sure. Printers, cash registers, barcode scanners, etc are available for just about any kind of computer ever made. from PDAs to PCs.  It's a popular accessory market segment.   Tablets are attractive because of their low entry price, but of course PCs are undoubtedly still the most popular base device.  Easier to get comprehensive restaurant, inventory management and payroll software, printers,...