or Connect

Posts by KDarling

Where does it say that the aluminum frame is the antenna?
Speaking of sales and screen sizes, I ran across a report of the top UK phones sold last quarter:     The first thing that jumped out to me, is that over 27% of the total phones sold were iPhone models. The next is that at least 40% of the total phones sold had 4" or larger screens (it could be.. and probably is... more, since this only lists the top ten).   At least 18% were 4.3" to 4.8".  That's a pretty good market chunk.   Then I decided to chart the...
  This particular case is not about design or look-and-feel.  (This is NOT the same case as that $1B jury trial last summer.)   It's about a few software patents, which neither side likely had any idea they were possibly infringing on.   Of course, the very nature of software patents is that it doesn't matter if they knew about it or not.  It's only about who filed first.  (Which is why software patents are especially idiotic... developers all over the world...
Where did Gartner get 38.3 million iPhones shipped?  Didn't Apple report 37.4 million sales?
  Exactly.  Android users didn't like it because it doesn't support widgets, folders, etc.   As someone else put it, Facebook Home was a good idea for FB fans, but forgot that even those people had other apps / widgets they wanted to use as well.
  Works on Star Trek with comm badges     Especially in futuristic movies, prop devices often don't have moving parts, so we instead see the user tapping, or sliding a finger along the edges of a box to unlock it, or along a ridge (think of the original Predator movie slide-to-unlock self-destruct initiation gesture).   So whenever I see a patent application from anybody that mentions gesture vocabularies, I visualize a group of stoned geeks watching SciFi movies on TV...
  False.  Worrying about stolen phones has been a concern for a long time, especially since the earliest smartphones were mostly used by business people.   Before the iPhone, there were various ways of tracking and disabling phones.   There were location tracking programs for smartphones ( WinMo phones for sure had them). CDMA carriers like Verizon/Sprint disabled stolen phones. Remote wiping of stolen phones was available on WinMo phones via MS Exchange, and I'm...
From that article ^^^, apparently Facebook didn't realize that even people who liked FB, wanted to ALSO use other apps as well:   " Widgets, docks, and folders are very important to the Android experience, but Facebook failed to take note,"
  You're both right.  The non-discriminatory part means everyone gets a chance at the same deals (if they qualify).  For example:   There could be different rates for different quantities.  If you want to buy 1 million licenses, you should get offered the same rate as anyone else who wants 1 million licenses.  But if you only want fifty licenses, then no, you probably wouldn't get the same rate as the million license buyers do.  You'd get the fifty license rate.   There...
  It looks like an Amazon warrior.