or Connect

Posts by KDarling

What Gates actually said, was they thought that going from 64K to 640K should be good enough to last the needs of computer users for another ten years.   Many years later at a college speech, he poked fun at himself about this prediction, noting that they had been wrong by about five years.   He brought it up as a warning to anyone else who might fall into the same trap, of thinking they could so easily predict future needs.   (I remember when I got my first 5MB hard...
  Yep, although full predictions can be difficult.  The devil is in the details.     Back in the mid-1990s, I and some others were contracted by a major carrier to predict what would be possible if people had ubiquitous broadband access.   One of the things we got right was that there would be cloud storage for things like documents, photos and videos. Instead of emailing lots of copies to everyone, users would upload their info only one time, and then simply send links...
  Some of those numbers seem off, but the general information is correct:   Yes, as the number of countries and retailers and sales increase, a rising portion of what Apple reports as sales have contributed to filling ever-growing inventory channels.   SeekingAlpha had a little article on this phenomena not long ago, and charted the trend:   So by the end of this year, about 11 million of the number of iPhones ever included in sales reports, will actually still not be...
  Apparently some parts of the DoD are currently using a product called "airwatch" for their Android devices.   However, an RFP was put out late last year for a "Mobile Device Manager and Mobile Application Store" (MDM-MAS) that can support...   "...devices running iOS 5 and newer OS versions as well as Android 2.2 and newer versions. The subsequent versions are to be supported within three months of public release. DoD says it also wants bidders to offer the capability...
  I don't know if the very low price Toys'R'Us Android tablets come with Google's own apps installed.     It used to be that if a device didn't come with Google apps, you went online and found the files and installed them.   Nowadays, sometimes the super cheap tablets come with the Google apps already installed, but not the Google Play Market.     For example, the Craig Android 4.0 tablet I got from CVS for $75 had GMaps, GMail, YouTube... but no Play Market, so I had to...
  Then it's a good thing that nobody made such a ridiculous comparison.  Except you.     Major board manufacturers in the US has been using AXI or AOI for the past decade to check every board that goes down the assembly line.   Foxconn only started buying equipment to do that last year.   Obviously these QC concerns are not about Apple per se.  They're about Foxconn and other factories that rely on hand labor instead of automation.  It goes without saying that this lack...
    I think Apple gets good ratings partly because they're so quick to replace failed or blemished devices, even for customers who bring back quite a few units before being satisfied.   (We know that Foxconn doesn't do as much checking as they could.   Until recently, Foxconn only pulled a few boards from each batch, to check their solder connections.  Better factories run every board on the line through an 3D X-ray scanner.  Plus there's the recent story of 5-8 million...
  4GB is enough to download 100 Angry Birds type games.  Plenty for a kid.   Best thing about them is that they're so inexpensive, you don't even mind if they get lost or broken.     And they can be re-purposed later:  I have several that the kids and grandkids used to use all the time.  Now that they're older, I gave them iPads and I use those old $100 Android tablets as dedicated Pandora and Scanner Radio devices on my desk.  Kind of neat.
  Hard to disagree with that advice.     That would be wonderful if true.  The problem is a lot of software patents are incredibly vague, and seem to be only about a general idea.  For example, the claims in this one are variations of:   1. A method for establishing a translucent window having a translucent window background and a translucent window frame on a display screen of a computer system, comprising the steps of:  displaying a translucent window on a display...
  Yep, that's why I said they're only good for relative comparisons, not exact ones.   I think that's pretty darned close, although you're missing $100 on the BOM, which is why your numbers don't add up to $650.  Otherwise, that's almost exactly what I came up with not long ago:   $640 average iPhone price x (widely reported 53%) average iPhone gross profit margin = $340 gross profit per iPhone + $300 to build each iPhone (manufacturing, shipping, license fees).   Of...