or Connect

Posts by KDarling

That's like asking this question last year:   "If they make $200 per iPad, then why would Apple sell a cheaper iPad mini with lower margins?   Especially as it cannibalizes regular iPad sales!"
  The Galaxy Fame actually got a pretty good review on Phone Arena.   " Thanks to its pebble-like shape, the smartphone is a delight to handle and operate, especially since its curvy body makes it fit perfectly in the hand. Plastic is what the device is made out of, but it lacks the cheap feel that entry-level phones are usually associated with. Quite the opposite, the Galaxy Fame feels pretty solid in the user's palm due to its sturdy construction."   The synopsis was...
  Drama is unnecessary.  Knowledge is power.   As with any third party browser on iOS, it uses the same web browser engine as Safari.  Chrome on iOS is just a shell which basically adds the ability to sync tabs and bookmarks between devices.   The main difference in this use-case is that there will be a button that takes you back to the original calling app.
  In case nobody noticed, this is the primary thing of importance to the user.   Just as with Android's Back button, it will make jumping out to a browser a much more pleasurable experience than it currently is in iOS.     Right now, once you're done using the iOS-app-launched browser, you have to remember / find / relaunch the app that sent you to the web in the first place.
  The point is ease of opening without having to use the key you might be carrying.   I recently installed an electronic lock, and we love it, because my daughter doesn't have to carry a key (so we stopped having to hide a spare nearby, thank goodness).  Plus we can get in more easily even with stuff in our arms.   However, yes, we keep a real key on my and my wife's automobile keychains as a backup.   Of course, we live in the country, so we usually have a car keychain...
  FYI... just click on the Thumbs Up count and it tells you who all did it.   (It was not mstone in this case, btw.)   Carry on.
  As I've pointed out several times, it's a starting negotiation rate.  (Below is a list of such rates for LTE, which includes 3G.)  The usual method of knocking rates down to as low as zero, is to cross-license IP.  This is partly why Apple spent billions buying Nortel patents... for the same price per patent as Google paid for Motorola's patents... and continue to buy other such patents.   It's also important that ETSI rates are a percentage.  This is what allows very...
  Apple has only been willing to pay a fee that THEY consider reasonable.     More to the point, Apple doesn't want to play by the same rules as everyone else.  They entered a field with its own rules and decided they didn't like them.   Instead, Apple wants special treatment.  Unlike everyone else who has licensed ETSI patents for decades, Apple wanted royalties based on a tiny part of the overall device, and for lower prices.   We can debate the fairness of that all we...
  Yep, although I think the flagship phones were estimated as only around 24 million last quarter.  So using the smartphone cut of $26B revenue, it could break down as something like this (feel free to use other numbers):   $13 billion from 24 million Galaxy @ $550 avg wholesale $13 billion from 46 million non-Galaxy smartphones = $280 avg wholesale for those   If we decided that half of those 46 million sold were super low end smarpthones wholesaled for only $150 (=...
  This is not about what apps do with the info.   It's about Apple's policy for its own internal use of private information.   For example, collecting info without explicit approval, even if you just shared a photo to someone's email address:   "When you share your content with family and friends using Apple products, send gift certificates and products, or invite others to join you on Apple forums, Apple may collect the information you provide about those people such as...