or Connect

Posts by KDarling

As I wrote, "$3 billion comes from the 45 million dumb phones (industry average is $60 apiece)".   That's actually probably a little on the high side, as the $60 is from 2011 and the cost / price have probably come down a bit.     From matching up with other sources, it doesn't seem to.  However, it does appear to include the Galaxy Note.  In other words, it's for the high end large screen phones (Galaxy S and Note) which are what most people compare iPhone sales...
  Back in Nov 2011, Czech carrier Telefonica (O2) decided not "to carry Apple’s iPhone 4S and is dropping all prior iPhone models, citing “business terms”.  (...)  The spokesperson blamed it on struggling sales in the local market, describing iPhone sales in the country as “pretty small and well below Android models and even still Nokia phones”.   A couple of months later, Telefonica and Vodafone both decided to drop subsidies in Spain, which included the iPhone. (Later...
  Your Samsung average is across all handsets.  In my post, I separated out the dumbphones to get a better idea of what their smartphones averaged, which worked out to be $370.       Oh, for sure Apple sells their phones at a significantly higher average price.  Sprint has said they pay an average of 40% more for iPhones than for their other smartphones.   Ironically, that's what worries the analysts so much.  They see the higher prices as eventually capping Apple's sales...
  Times are changing.  Yes, all iPhones together still outsell the entire Galaxy line, but not by as much these days.         Plus there's the other 40 odd million non-Galaxy smartphones that Samsung sells each quarter now.
  Indeed.  The smartphone market can change pretty quickly.  I'm finding that notes/charts that I made to help myself even six months ago are out of date now.  A lot of assumptions (like Samsung sells mostly cheap phones) just don't cut it any more.   This past quarter Samsung's handset division made approximately $29 billion in revenue.  Estimates say they sold 115 million phones, of which 45 million were dumbphones, and 70 million were smartphones.    Knowing some...
  Besides the ads, Google also makes money from licensing its own apps, and from its app store.   Handset makers such as Huawei, ZTE, Lenovo, MicroMax, et al are making rising profits.   Hopefully HTC will rebound with their model One, as well.
  Easy enough to find out.  I Googled "samsung electronics", clicked through to the Investor Relations - Financials page, and looked at this PDF for 4Q 2012.       CE = Consumer Electronics and includes laptops, TVs and appliances. IM  = IT and Mobile Communications (about 97% of revenue is cell phones) DP = Display panels (LCD, AMOLED) parts   So the answer to your first question is that cell phones are separate from semiconductors. displays and appliances.  (But their...
  Perhaps in the countries that they're targeting, Samsung found that a lot of the buyers would be less inclined to purchase a device called the "Galaxy S4 Mini", than they would a device called the "Galaxy Core" or "Mega" or "Grand".   Seriously.  It's just like the way that some GPS units used a male voice in countries where men didn't like females giving orders.  Or how Nokia avoided the number "4" when selling to places like China, due to that number being associated...
  Not much has changed.   Apple still has to pay Motorola for use of their patents, and injunctions are still available if a licensee fails to negotiate.   This preliminary finding says that SEP holders cannot seek/enforce an injunction if the potential licensee has agreed to accept a binding rate from a third party.   It could also help the EU push for anti-trust proceedings if it wants to, although it would seem a lot fairer if the prohibitive ruling had existed before...
  Not really an issue since it has a microSD slot.   Apparently it will also come in a dual-SIM version, which is popular in many parts of the world.   My question is:  what's the target price?   Has that been mentioned?