or Connect

Posts by KDarling

Me too.     Per device.  Or they could sell 2x as many to equal the same total profit.   Separating out the profits vs margins is definitely important.  For example, the iPad mini has the same (or possibly even higher) gross profit margin % as the regular iPad, but grosses less cash profit per device.   However, even with lower gross profit, and cannibalizing some of its bigger brother's sales, the mini is viewed as a product that will add to Apple's total profits out...
  First off, car analogies never work with phones :)   For example, Lamborghinis are not owned by a large chunk of the world's sports car drivers.     It was because of a few carriers around the world early last year announcing that they were dropping the iPhone because of the high subsidies, that analysts started the whole "OMG Apple needs to make a cheaper phone" theme.  At the time, it was feared to be a trend that could accelerate.     The other complaints included...
  The rate is whatever the SEP holder can get.  It's obviously necessary to recoup their R&D costs and to make some profit, while at the same time avoiding being so high that the Standards group gets together and finds an alternative method.   Note that "fair" does not mean everyone gets the same terms.  License quantity, contract length, credit worthiness, past deals, and patent sharing, all figure into the rate.   For example, if you go by just the starting published...
  They were going partly by what various EU judges had ruled.   For example, a German judge recently ruled that FRAND only meant the patent holder must offer the patent, and did not otherwise remove any patent holder rights such as injunctions.   The UK High Court likewise had said that injunctions were valid, but that they preferred the parties to negotiate instead.  (A position that some US judges had taken as well.)   The ETSI FRAND agreement itself makes no mention of...
  Correct, for this particular situation.  It was not about all injunctions.     Not quite correct, because it leaves out the most important criteria.  The key here was Apple's being able to prove their claim that they were willing to negotiate.  Among other things, Motorola had claimed that Apple's attempts to prove that the patents were invalid, amounted to being unwilling.   The Commission has always said that injunctions were available to FRAND patent...
  Back when the iPhone first came out, and pro-Apple reviewers like Mossberg were still saying that Flash was necessary and on its way, Steve Jobs used to demo the iPhone by using stored websites that had been modified to cover up the missing Flash sections.     The most famous examples were the NY Times and National Geographic front pages, both of which were modified by Apple to remove any Flash-needed indications.  Years later, Jobs would instead show the missing...
  NetMarketShare's numbers in that link are very much at odds to other web stat counters with more sites, page counting, no weighting by country, etc.  E.g., W3 Schools or StatCounter: Among other differences, NetMarketShare only looks at 40,000 websites, and they only count each visitor once a day.  Meaning that if one visitor saw one page on a website, and another viewed 100 pages on that website, they count the same.  In other words, it doesn't actually tell us web...
  Sorry, sir, but that's an incorrect premise.  There were, and still are, plenty of 2.3 Gingerbread devices with 4" to 7" screens.     For example, the original Galaxy S phone.  And even today, Huawei sells large screen phones with 2.3.   Heck, I have an HTC Flyer tablet that I keep on 2.3 instead of upgrading, simply because I don't want to lose the use of some of the screen to soft buttons.  I like the separate buttons it came with.   Most importantly, as already...
  Judging from the devices, I'm pretty sure that should be 1993, not 2003.   --   As for the comparison to Windows and DOS, my first thought always goes back to the way that PCs took over partly because they went with hardcoded graphic sizes at first... while other OSes were trying to be totally hardware and size independent.   The hardcoded VGA/SVGA graphics looked much better at first than the resolution independent setups, even though the latter made more sense for the...
  Did Apple tell everyone that Google Search, Google Maps, voice control, apps, slide-to-unlock, browsers with tap to zoom, and much more existed on smartphones before the iPhone?  Of course not.     The remote app works on other brands as well.   As for being first, Samsung included a remote control app before the iPhone existed.  I know, because I had a Samsung I-730 with it back in 2005.  See image below.       Apple was dinged more than once for advertisements that...