or Connect

Posts by KDarling

Automated?  You must be thinking of some other pending facility.   The Americas Operations Center will be used for accounting, HR, sales, marketing and finance operations for both North and South America.   Apple has also had a fairly large Customer Service Call Center in Austin for the past twenty years.  I believe that this campus will be used to expand that facility as well.   There could be several thousand new jobs created eventually between 2015 and 2021.  (As the...
  Even if they helped with the Maps API, no Google engineers had to be involved in iPhone development.  In fact, they'd be unlikely to be told any details.   For example, not long ago I had to switch an app from Google maps to Bing maps.  Along the way, I ran into some problems using SSL.  Since we have a support contract with Microsoft, I contacted them for help with their APIs.  In the end, they even had to change their security certificates to make things work.   At no...
  You have a point about use vs design.  However...   Check out the picture heading up this article.  That screenshot is from TapFish... rated 4+.   It's difficult to defend the idea of offering a four year old some virtual fish for $100.
  Just a note...   If you meant the monthly contract sharing, it stopped with the first iPhone.  That idea failed because of all the unlocked phones being sold to people on carriers with no monthly Apple payment deal.   Instead, with the iPhone 3G, Apple switched to the usual subsidy model, where carriers simply paid Apple full price up front.  As AT&T stated at the time:   "The new agreement between Apple and AT&T eliminates the revenue-sharing model under which AT&T...
  All the telcos do these days is sometimes include their own apps.  That wouldn't stop an OS update.   Now, having to retest devices again... THAT would definitely make telcos think twice.  Testing costs time and money, and naturally they would only want to do that for the biggest sellers, if even them.
  Yet the majority of owners will put a case over it, and never feel it again.   Wish someone could make a nice exterior that looked good _and_ was resistant to drops and water, and had a nice practical grip to it.
  Yes sir, you got that right, and I got it wrong.  I was thinking about the fact that data older than six months was kept even without an id.  However, yes, opting out will delete data younger than six months.     Oh, I wasn't necessarily talking about using anything in court.  I was talking about data that would be useful all on its own... no source necessary... perhaps for corporate or government espionage.     Things change.  For example, back in the mid 70s, NSA (*)...
  Yet that is what Apple did with the iPad mini:   iPad 3 ....... $500 retail - $306 BOM = $194 gross profit (39%) iPad mini.... $330 retail - $188 BOM = $142 gross profit (43%)   Apple kept roughly the same gross profit margin percentage, but with lower cash gross per device.   The iPad mini reportedly has heavily cannibalized the regular iPad sales, so they've "lost" millions of dollars selling the less expensive model.   How does this fit in with the idea that there is...
  Apple says that the voice clip (and perhaps associated context) is not wiped, but kept for years.     Right, however I'm not talking about info that needs associations, but data that has value by itself.    A voice clip containing valid SSN is valuable data.  Knowledge that so-and-so is a drug dealer is valuable info.   Or a voice note request to, "Remind me to tell Forstall that we're keeping the same iPhone body style for three more years."   Now, again, I...
Hmm.   Other people have pointed out that there's something else going on.   When you switch Siri off you get a warning that says: "The information Siri uses to respond to your requests will be removed from Apple servers. If you want to use Siri later, it will take time to resend this information."   I seem to recall early reviews of Siri talking about how the current request context (previous questions) and any contact nicknames (e.g. "Mom = Mrs Smith") , plus...