or Connect

Posts by KDarling

As you probably know, larger storage NAND Flash chips are internally made up of multiple stacked smaller memory die.    For example, a 64GB chip might have four 16GB die inside it.    Apple could eventually combine their purchased Flash controller technology and some RAM into a chip package along with internal parallel access to multiple memory slices, and end up with some very SSD-like performance increases.   The likely downside would be greatly increased power usage,...
  One big difference for a long time, was that other manufacturers put the main indicator behind the battery, where it was probably much less likely to be triggered, but was still very easy to check by popping the rear cover off.   Apple, having decided on a non-removable battery, had no choice but to put indicators at the most easy to view (and trigger) ingress points (headphone jack, dock connector).   --   Only half tongue in cheek, perhaps Apple should forget about...
  Ah, thanks!  Something new in 6.1.  How many people do you think will go click that between each app?     Apple had good intentions, but unfortunately, what the missing UDID ended up causing, was for advertisers to come up with their own MAC address databases to correlate users.     I agree.  Opt-in is usually the best solution.  On the other hand, there are so many people who never figure out things like that, and all they wonder is, why doesn't this darned thing...
  I'm sure you're right about your particular situation.  And I agree about engineers being consulted along the way.  Been there.     However... in this particular case... the judge's ruling was specifically about the enormous time burden the 100 claims construction hearings (the Markman process) could impose.  If it only took a half a day per word, it would take ten weeks.  It could take less, or it could take much longer.   This has nothing to do with business decisions...
  Digging up a post I made back in February (I started designing with Flash memory back in the early 1990s) ....   Apple uses the least expensive type of NAND.   Which makes sense.  Smartphone or tablet storage hardly requires enterprise grade speed or robustness, and users do not read/write data that often.     (Which is why the Apple chips' limit of around 5,000 erase-write cycles is plenty... and now you also know why Safari doesn't save its cache to disk (last I...
Hi.  A few notes, jumping in:     Google also saves voice data to train its recognition engine for a particular person.   However, you can go to your Google Dashboard and delete that info and/or anonymize it if you wish.  (I almost deleted the data it had stored up about me, then decided I liked how well it recognized my voice, so I left it enabled.  Below is the screen capture I made at the time.)         IIRC, a user can only opt out of getting targeted ads, not the...
  Once a company decides to sue, it's the law firm's job to figure out the details and how far to take them.   Do you think that the CEOs of each company came up with all the patent claim constructs to settle?   No, that's not their expertise.   The constructs are the time consuming thing that the judge is upset about, not the number of patents per se. 
  I think it's interesting that many people want everyone else, from the government down to the cable and wireless companies, to practice net neutrality... but then allow the final step in the chain, a device maker, full control over what kind of apps can or cannot be downloaded.   If Apple can do it, shouldn't Verizon or AT&T be allowed to censor apps as well?  After all, you can just take your money elsewhere.  Unless everyone is censoring.
  Pretty often.  Google "tim cook lbgt".  Heck, the headlines this week were:   Apple CEO Tim Cook tops Out Magazine’s Power List for third year, despite not being ‘out’   "Mr Cook has continually been named the magazine’s list of the most influential LGBT people in the United States, despite never speaking about his sexuality. When he was appointed as Apple’s CEO,  Tim Cook was dubbed the ‘most powerful gay in Silicon Valley’"