or Connect

Posts by KDarling

Wonder if we will ever find out what Steve Jobs' revelation was, on how to make TV easier to use.
  Exactly, that's why I think it's a new homescreen launcher.   Also, perhaps part of the rumors come from HTC getting an early exclusive with it.  Then Facebook releasing it later to all other devices.   We'll see.
Could be a replacement app launcher with a very interactive homepage... kind of like HTC's Blinkfeed, but focused around Facebook actions. If they were smart, they'd also have a nice tablet version that took advantage of the extra screen space. Such an always-there Facebook launcher could be quite popular, and sell a lot of phones and tablets. Heck, it'd be great for grandparents wanting to keep up with their families. (I've always thought that Flipboard should do this.)
  The Blackberry crowd certainly thought a missing keyboard was a bad idea, sure.     As for Windows Mobile, slide-out physical keyboards were actually just becoming a popular option so users could avoid having to tip-tap with a stylus on a tiny onscreen keyboard.   That was because of the smaller screens, though.  Full screen software keyboards were also just becoming available and usable on larger screened phones.      There are not too many basic designs if you decide...
Well.  Just came out of a week of emergency abdominal surgery to repair previous cancer surgery.  Reading this article wasn't quite as painful as all that, but at least one part does require a major correction. The diagram being used in relation to Samsung's "SAFE" (Samsung For Enterprise) is wrong.          If "SAFE" were only only about MS Sync, encryption, VPN and MDM, then quite a few Android and iOS devices made for the past few years would be...
  Minor quibble:  it was Qualcomm who created a way to fit LTE in everyone's thin phones, by coming up with a lower power all-in-one multi-protocol broadband modem.
  And what the skeuomorph is referring to.   They need at least to reference something that everyone remembers and perhaps even knew how to operate.   Already we're into generations that have never actually seen... much less used... a round phone dial, large microphones, or reel-to-reel recorders, and who might not recognize once-common shapes like those of long bellied movie cameras, or film sprocket slots to indicate video, or recognize an LP record player stacking...
    At least I used my pet peeve about the misuse of "GPS" as a jumping off point to give everyone more detail on what it actually was about, and how it worked using much more input than just the possible existence of WiFi hotspots... this being important information that was missing from the article, and a reason to buy the company over all the usual indoor locating firms.
I wish AI hadn't repeated the nonsensical "Indoor GPS" headline that some other blogs used.  It doesn't use satellites, therefore it is not a "GPS" method, no matter how much some non-techies want the term to be generic for any locating method.   "Combinational input indoor locating" would be a far more accurate description.   --   SLAM = Simultaneous Localization and Mapping, which is usually associated with autonomous robots.   Basically it's combining...
  "Retina" was made up for marketing.  It's simply advertising shorthand for very old science facts.   A display doesn't "operate at the limit of the human retina", unless it's at least a certain distance away.   For example, a display with one inch wide pixels ( 1 PPI) becomes "retina" when it's a football field away.   Likewise, the iPhone 4 screen at 326 PPI isn't "retina' unless it's held at least 11" away (for normal users, or up to 18" if a person has better than...