or Connect

Posts by KDarling

If every male passenger has a pocket knife, I don't think even multiple hijackers are going to get a chance to slaughter "hundreds".     More like hundreds will slaughter them.
  Quite the contrary, he takes Google's numbers at face value.   All he's saying is that iPhone USA vs iPhone world sales, are a higher percentage, than Android's US vs world percentage.   In other words, Apple sells well in the USA, while Android sells far more outside the USA.  Which we all knew.   He summarizes this in his last paragraph:     As for the trial sales numbers, they also match with what he found above:  that the low USA tablet sales numbers made sense, as...
  Good eye!      http://www.littlechips.com/LN2410SBC_TFT.htm       As to thinking about putting cellular on the tablet, sure, there were plenty of data-only radio cards (e.g. GSM/GPRS) available for CF slots.
This is important news.   Everyone's been looking for a replacement to using ITO.   Isn't the iridium supply supposed to be gone by 2020?   This BBC article says even as soon as 2017.   (I thought I read that Japan found a rare earth deposit underwater near their country, that could possibly be mined if the price was right.  But again, that's just another push to find cheaper substitutes.)
  Do they not also provide a power cable?   Or do they have to swap the entire aircraft's tablet inventory for full charged units after every long flight?   Seems like the first choice makes more sense.
  There are certainly known ways to make fingerprint recognition more secure, such as adding a heat sensor, watching for a heartbeat, and even scanning underneath for veins, but nothing is perfect. A common thief isn't going to spend time creating a wonderfully fake finger with all those characteristics, and a more sophisticated intruder (such as a government) would just bypass the whole thing and grab data straight from frozen RAM or something.   So it's probably good...
  We're talking specifically about fingers and their electrical characteristics.     Good point.  Fingerprint recognition is not totally secure by itself.  Most advise also using a PIN.   In this case, it's more about convenience, rather than securing top secrets.   One worry is that false rejections would turn users off from the sensor pretty quickly, and then they'd have to fall back on a PIN anyway.
  Grrrr.   Out, damned spot!      I just finished explaining in post #43 above this, that nobody has hacked NFC, and definitely nobody has hacked NFC payments.   The exploit in that article was aimed at a document viewer application, not NFC.  Sending the document via SMS or email would've also worked.  As they put it, "We used the NFC method for showmanship,"     Apparently Mythbusters was testing against an optical fingerprint sensor, which are very easy to fool.
  Good question.   You might recall that I once explained that capacitive touchscreens work because of the blood in the capillaries and live tissue under the skin.  They're conductive and take a charge, which is sensed as a change in capacitance.   Likewise, AuthenTec uses very precise active capacitance sensors, which measure the ridges and valleys as dead spots and live spots, because the ridges are biologically dead skin acting like a dielectric, and the valleys are...
  Sigh.  Not your fault, but this is a prime example of the negative power of the Internet.  People with agendas post misleading articles that get repeated and often grow with the telling.  Apple sites especially are full of misinformation about NFC, usually because they're anti-anything that Apple doesn't have.   NFC is just another wireless method like Bluetooth or WiFi.  What counts is what goes over it.  That is where people confuse simple NFC based data exchanges...