or Connect

Posts by KDarling

Web traffic (or worse, ad impressions) has always been an unreliable sales indicator.  For example, when the iPad first came out, its web stats made it look like it was selling many times as much as iPhones were, which was of course ridiculous.   It also ignores all the devices used by people who rarely surf the web.  I know a lot of women who use social apps, but never the web.  My own kids used tablets for years just to play games.  And then there are the...
  It looks like a technical decision, not a political one.  You yourself said so later on when you hedged your headline and wrote:     Right.  No UI or apps.  Using Android in the dongle would be like using iOS in a Lightning cable.  Just no need for it.     That should probably be "had spawned", since Oracle lost.   The highlight of that trial was when a non-programmer Oracle lawyer opined about how a single small but identical range check function would take him...
  Some are.  By Samsung, who has invested $15 billion in its Austin chip factories and research facilities, even though it looks like Apple might try to buy chips from elsewhere in the future.     Not sure where the circuit boards are being made, but Motorola sold some of their overseas manufacturing facilities and is going to instead be assembling the new Moto X phone in Fort Worth.
  As far as I can tell from reading through the 800 pages of evidence, and 700 page ruling, one problem is that nobody had ever paid a flat cash rate.  Everyone else engaged in cross-licensing and paid little or nothing.     Thus Samsung had to make up a starting cash rate, and it was then expected for Apple to negotiate it down.  While Samsung made other offers, Apple refused to negotiate and that's why they got the ban.  See the ITC statement at end of this...
  At first I was skeptical, but it sure looks like you're right.
  Everybody bends over the carriers in one way or another.   Apple crippled iPhones for years by bending over to AT&T's desires to keep high bandwidth apps off 3G, and locking them to WiFi only.   As for carrier installed apps, I don't care as long as I can keep them off my homescreen, or from running in the background... and they don't take up too much room.
  Really?  Okay.     It was underhanded.  It was also extremely dumb, publicity and reputation wise, for someone at Samsung to do this.  They need to send an edict from the top, telling their employees to straighten up or expect to be fired.   At the same time, it's hardly shocking or rare. That's why I didn't care to comment.  It's like a news article about someone getting an email from a fake Nigerian prince.  Tuning for benchmarks has gone on since benchmarks were...
  Simplistically, 540,000 iPhones  /  90,000 workers = only 6 iPhones per worker per day    Alas, each worker can't make an entire phone.  I remember reading somewhere that each iPhone goes through 100 workers.  Sounds excessive, but let's use it as a thought exercise:   90,000 people / 3 shifts a day = 30,000 workers at any one time. 30,000 people / 100 people per line = 300 fully staffed assembly lines. 540,000 iPhones / 300 assembly lines = 1800 phones per day per...
  In the old days, a company would usually spin off a different brandname for cases like this.   That way, they could have both premium and non-premium models, which were often similar underneath.    Like Cadillac/Chevrolet.  Lincoln/Ford.   Or how people viewed Panasonic equipment as superior to Radio Shack gear, even though they were the same boards inside.   Or all the competing breakfast cereal brands that are actually owned by the same conglomerate.  So many examples...
Trying to equate aerial views with street views is silly.  They have different purposes, depending on where you live.     For modern maps, there's a need to include data from multiple sources:  satellite, aerial, street, and interior.   The latter collection is just starting.   -- Street View   Here in the Northeast US, street level views are very useful.   I use Street View all the time to preview a new destination.  I can check what kind of buildings to...