or Connect

Posts by KDarling

Proof?     The Verge had an interesting article comparing the privacy policies of various cloud drive providers.   Both Google and Apple's policies are remarkably similar, with one major exception.  Apple states that it can remove any content it finds "objectionable".  As the Verge put it:   "That's the harshest line yet — Apple says it can scan and delete any data it wants at any time if that data is "objectionable," without strictly defining what "objectionable"...
  Disney does not capture fingerprints.  Their devices scan finger geometry and store a small set of points which are just statistically significant enough to tell if someone else was trying to use that ticket, but which don't have nearly enough info to pinpoint a particular person.   For example, if you gave your two day pass to someone else, odds are that their finger geometry wouldn't match yours, and Disney would then ask for photo id.   Trouble is, it's not super...
  Especially since infringement only requires proof for one claim per patent.  As Judge Koh pointed out to the lawyers for both sides, they should know by now which of their claims are most likely to be upheld... and should concentrate on those... instead of wasting anyone's time on "filler material" as she put it.     That might be mixing up cases, since Koh sided with Apple at first on this one.       2012 Jun -  Judge Koh GRANTS Apple a pretrial injunction against the...
  Comments like that just prove why non-engineers shouldn't be allowed to make these decisions.   Any device with an oscillator is a transmitter.  That includes an iPad, an MP3 player, a handheld game, or any other device with a CPU.     Perhaps one day everything will be done by fiberoptics, and the crew cabin will be hardened.  That day is not yet here.   As for the FAA, it's more about keeping airlines flying than about passenger safety.  Think of all the years that...
  I agree that it doesn't seem fair.   In the last trial, Judge Koh put limits on the number of hours each side was allowed for testimony and counter arguments.   This limit worked against Samsung, who wanted more time.   Sounds like you're now on Samsung's side, because Apple isn't complaining.     Again, this case has nothing at all to do with voice patents.   The headlines are misleading.
Good gosh.  So many sites echoing the same nonsense headline.   There is nothing in this lawsuit about Siri VOICE technology or Vlingo or anything like that.   The closest thing to being about Siri, is the patent that is often dubbed "the universal search patent", which is about searching both local storage and remote sites.   (I have explained that patent before.  The poor construction of its primary claim was the basis for a three judge panel denying...
Ridiculous that some politico thinks she can wave a wand and make things safe.  Non-engineers and non-pilots should not be making such decisions.     For one thing, most people don't realize that the landing and takeoff phases are the most dangerous, because there's very little room to play with during distractions or malfunctions.  (That's why use is allowed above 10,000 feet... it gives more time for pilots to recover.)   There have been many reports via...
Of course, the freezing RAM method would work on any device... including iPhones.   OTOH, perhaps Apple has anti-freeze protection already built in by accident:        j/k  :)
  True, I do often let the kids and grandkids get the devices, and they're not always gentle.  It's still another reason inductive charging would be nice.   Plus, of course, the MagSafe break was not my fault:     Yeah, after I drove to the Apple Store and paid for the replacement charger, I later found out that it was a known problem.    Apparently that's why they asked if I had a Genius appointment.  Why would I need a Genius appointment if everyone knew it was a recall...
  What's wrong with aggregate data?   You can't get anything personal from it.   Even Apple states that:   "Aggregated data is considered non-personal information for the purposes of this Privacy Policy" "We may collect, use, transfer, and disclose non-personal information for any purpose."