or Connect

Posts by KDarling

Grewal is the same Magistrate Judge who blocked a lot of crucial Samsung evidence from the $1B California trial.   Later, he was the judge who recently refused Samsung's request for documents from that case, to be used in a Japan trial.   He also penalized Samsung for not producing source documents in a timely manner, to which one outspoken poster (I won't name names) here said "...the issue is does Apple comply with court orders?  By failing to comply Samsung has shown...
  The judge is the one who brought up the idea of delay, not Samsung.   She apparently wants to see the outcome of Apple's appeal of her reason for not granting a sales injunction.   If the appeals court upholds her decision, and says that monetary damages are a sufficient remedy, then there's no need for a speedy trial for the other patents, which also involve relatively small-contribution features.   For that matter, Apple already tried for an injunction on the Nexus...
  That's proven incorrect statement.  Few repeat it anymore. It's been pointed out multiple times that when it comes to smartphones alone, the internet usage is the same.  The big difference comes when web usage stats add in the large number of iPads.     --   What these WiFi stats won't show, of course, are all the tablets being used by parents to keep their kids quiet and entertained while on a plane.   They've been godsends for that.     I gave iPads to all my...
  Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint all have filed amicus curae briefs opposing the idea of Apple getting an injunction on Samsung devices.   Remember, there are four requirements for a US court(*) to grant a patent related injunction:   The patent holder must have suffered irreparable harm. Other remedies, such as monetary damages, must be inadequate compensation. The balance of hardships that the infringer will suffer must be considered. The public interest should not...
Loved wireless charging on WebOS devices, especially the way they went into a different mode with speakerphone, etc.   We've had too many charging connectors break on other well used portable devices, from HTC phones to my MacBook's frayed MagSafe (that an Apple Store charged me $80 to replace because I "didn't have an appointment to see a Genius to knock the price down").   Now what would be really nice (but not likely) is if everyone had compatible chargers. 
As always, read these with a pinch of salt.   In this report, they included apps that you intentionally install to monitor your phone.  (They didn't call them malware; they listed them as "monitor" apps, but did include them in their overall threat chart.)   Otherwise, it looks like none of the trojans came from the Google Play Store.  Can anyone find one from this list like that?   They also required the user to turn on "loading from untrusted sources", and...
  Likewise, FOSS has its own agenda.  The best idea is to use them both as references to find the real documents, and for technical law details, but make up your own mind.   --   Personally, I think that injunctions should be off the table for all software patents, FRAND or not.    Alternatively, allow software patent injunctions, but only by judges who have programmed for a living.     Remember when that non-programmer Oracle lawyer talked about how it would "take him a...
  It's fine that some companies don't believe in injunctions.   OTOH, I listed courts and agencies, and their beliefs, which matter far more.   They're the ones who make the decision whether or not to grant an injunction.     Okay, and what about the categories of companies who don't believe in injunctions for SEPs.   Some, like Microsoft, believe in mass cross-licensing to avoid injunctions in the first place.   Apple, who is quick to ask for injunctions over...
Naturally companies with SEPs believe in injunctions, and those without, do not.  However, they not decide the outcome.   What really matters is what the courts and other authorities think.   The US based ITC reaffirmed last October that injunctions were always available to SEP holders. The EU Commission investigating FRAND abuse specifically stated that injunctions were available in the case of unwilling licensees. A German court ruled that FRAND is...
Nielson said it passed 50% in March 2012.   Comscore said it passed 50% in 2012.   The KPBC source said it was 48%.     You guys are picking nits.   The upshot is, about half of US subs are using a smartphone, within a few points either way.   Edit: THT beat me to it.