or Connect

Posts by KDarling

Not really.  It's the junior developers or ones new to screen independence that have the problem.   Most figure it out, such as Rovio, who eneded up doing a great job of Angry Birds running on virtually every new and old Android device.  It just takes the right mindset... one which btw, Apple also needs to break out of their display resolution cage.     Again, not really.  They're just variations on a theme.  Well written apps work just fine and fill the display, even...
An article about app development, written by a major in Political Science.  That makes sense.   In reality, there's only a handful of major display sizes and device types to target.   Same as with iOS, most Android apps work with even a fairly old OS version, since the APIs most apps need were already in there years ago.     Click bait.
This is not new info.   For instance, the App Genome Project pointed it out years ago.   However, as some are pointing out, it doesn't necessarily mean anything bad is going on.  It's just that the opportunity is there.
  They do.  Both my Galaxy Nexus box, and the back of my Tab 10.1, say "Made in Korea".   Edit: so does my old Galaxy Tab 7.   From what I've read, Samsung builds their higher end devices in Korea for better quality control.   It's the lower priced stuff that's made in Southeast Asia countries where labor is cheaper.
  I'm for it, as long as they don't take away all the physical knobs and buttons.   Touch systems usually suck in a car.  You have to look at them, and they're tough to use on a bumpy road.   With knobs of different sizes or shapes and positions, you can quickly learn where everything is by feel... and never have to take your eyes off the road.   (Of course, steering wheel controls also work well for that.)   Edit:  I see mstone beat me to it.
  Err... handheld ticket and checkout terminals have been around for a very long time.   Apple themselves used to use Windows CE handhelds in their stores, and many sports arenas have used similar devices for about the last decade for scanning tickets.   This is nothing new.  It's just today's developers using off-the-shelf devices instead of buying slightly more custom ones.   Hey, does anyone recognize the scanner case being used here?   Is it one of the LineaPro models...
  I don't think the Army or NSA is using any unmodified phones for classified data.   The Army phones are reportedly stock Motorola Atrix, with a custom (NSA?) Android ROM loaded.  By using COTS hardware, they save money.   They wanted to make an iOS version, but Apple won't let them have access to the OS code to modify it.     Android has VPN, encryption and Exchange support.   Knox is far deeper than that, and is not available on other mass consumer devices.     As...
  That's a fair point.  The Army is using modified Motorola phones, and the NSA is using Motorola phones with their SE version of Android.   Interesting.  Wonder if Samsung's use of Android SE in KNOX will mean that their commercial devices can become the phone of choice for sensitive government work?   Of course, it's a pity to leave out modified devices, since then we would also have to leave out all the thousands of iPads that third parties have modified for government...
  You mean, they're ADDING eyes to their input methods.  Samsung also does whole hand gestures, like the swipe for a screenshot.   The smartphone of the future will be more like humans, capable of understanding both touch and voice of course, but also air gestures, facial expressions and emotional voice inflections.   The less a user has to direct their fingers to a certain point to make something happen, the better a helper that these personal devices can be.
  I don't think he was addressing any of those topics.  He was only pointing out all the technical mistakes.   As for serious government users, the NSA and the Army chose Android.   Again, he didn't seem to be promoting Android at all, but only correcting article mistakes.