or Connect

Posts by KDarling

Obviously you first check if a human is looking at the screen.   Apple had a patent application a few years back for that purpose... the camera operates in low power mode, simply looking for an orange blob (it turns out that all humans are a shade of orange... not pink or brown).  When it sees the blob, it kicks into higher power mode to check the face.   Samsung already had a feature to keep the power on if you were looking at the phone.  Sounds like a derivation of that.
  Besides the fact that the article (and Samsung) made it sound like Android didn't already have this stuff, the author got the "app containerization" totally wrong.   What Samsung has done, is used the Open Source NSA SE (Security Enhanced) version of Android to implement what they call KNOX (as in Fort Knox).   What KNOX does, is divide the device into a personal container and an enterprise container.  This is very powerful, especially for BYOD.   The user can do and...
  There's two types.  From what I can gather...   HTML5 localstorage is in the directory you looked at.   HTML5 also has database APIs, which store data in /Library/Safari/Databases, which is what I think the security setting turned off.
  They conflate them because they're basically the same thing:  sales to retailers (and to end users if the manufacturer has their own stores).   For example, Apple reports a sale when they ship a device to a retailer.  Samsung reports a sale when a device is delivered to a retailer.   What people get confused about, is thinking that these reported retailer "sales" during a period are the same thing as "end user sales", which is rarely the case.   Sometimes they're...
    IDC might be wrong, but they're hardly illiterate.   This is a forecast of overall world shipments (which are the same as sales, since all manufacturers... including Apple... count shipments as sales).     It has nothing to do with individual manufacturers, unless there's another chart that my browser isn't showing.   I mean, what are some people trying to claim, that smartphones really won't sell as much as feature phones?  Or that the China numbers will be...
  Agreed.   HTML would even favor the iPad, since it has quite an impressive CSS3 implementation, especially when it comes to transitions and animations.
What's interesting to me, is the relatively small number of apps that people actually use all the time.   A possibly useful site is :   http://www.thinkwithgoogle.com/mobileplanet/,  where you can instantly create charts about mobile usage.   For example, here's one I made about average app usage in the USA... how many are on the phone, how many are actually used, and how many were paid for:     There was also a report not long ago, that talked about how...
  This source says that the President appoints a Librarian for life. I would think that he has to report to Congress once in a while, but I don't know he has to obey POTUS orders or not.  He's not the Presidential librarian unless we believe the Book of Secrets  :)   http://www.loc.gov/loc/legacy/librs.html   "Although the Library of Congress was established in 1800, the office of Librarian was not created until 1802. This 1802 law stipulated that the Librarian of...
  It's not about unlocking per se, it's about copyrights.   Apple argued that modifying their OS to jailbreak and unlock it, was a copyright violation.
  "Shipments" means "sales" in reports like this.