or Connect

Posts by Woochifer

It's secure in the sense that the fingerprint data itself cannot be offloaded or otherwise revealed with a software hack. Apple goes as far as requiring matched identifiers on the Touch ID unit and the A7 SoC. Having a closed mobile payment system in which the fingerprint data never leaves the phone seems more secure than Samsung opening up the fingerprint reader to third party apps and doing multiple setups for individual vendors. That's what I was referring to. As far...
The beta tag was quietly removed from Siri when iOS 7 came out. For now, I think Touch ID's greatest strength is its ease of use. It has limited utility at the moment, but it's also highly secure (the purported hack that came out last year requires a lot of steps, and after a few unsuccessful tries requires a passcode) and the ease of use means that more users will secure their phones in the first place. Indeed, it does lay out the ground work for a secure and easy to use...
Oh good gawd, get off your high horse. The world doesn't end at the Hudson. Yeah, it's "horrible" and a "joke" because it doesn't sort out New York the way you want it to, irrespective of how it works elsewhere. I just tried it, and found the intersection just fine. Maybe you should use the vernacular that most New Yorkers I know use (i.e., "77th and 2nd"). The results found E 77th St and 2nd Ave. Maps is certainly not perfect (Google Maps isn't either), but it has...
Much of the East Bay, including Oakland all the way down to Hayward has been covered by Flyover for at least the past year. (FWIW, I thought Berkeley was already included) There were some Flyover coverage gaps that this update apparently fills in.   Apple also seems to tip off which areas will add Flyover coverage, because the turn-by-turn navigation had been showing the 3D building outlines in those East Bay cities where Flyover had not yet come online. I guess this...
The flip side to this though is the growth of contract-free BYOD plans, in which the consumer pays the full cost of (or finances) the phone up front. The opaque pricing, and high data and overage charges with these two-year contracts is the primary reason why I did not buy a smartphone until last year after the iPhone 5s came out.   For consumers coming off contract, going to a contract-free plan with the device that they just paid off would save a sizable amount every...
Because all of the attributes that you cite amount to nothing if you view bitcoins as currency rather than a speculative commodity. Aside from a handful of businesses and websites, nobody takes bitcoins as payment for goods or services rendered. The gold rush right now is with ATMs, where those bitcoins actually become valuable because they get traded for dollars -- y'know currency that businesses actually accept. Yeah, you "choose freedom" -- tell that to your landlord or...
With the amount of data that Facebook already has, and with the rampant ID theft that I've seen on their system, no way would I trust Facebook with my financial transactions as well.   If anything, Apple has a long track record of safeguarding their customers' account information. In addition, Apple actually provides multiple ways of contacting them if you encounter an issue with a purchase. Just recently, I had a problem with an in-app purchase, and this was solved in...
It's not impossible. You just have to know which sources were transferred under conditions as close as possible. The Rolling Stones remasters were issued on CD/SACD hybrid discs. If you want to hear for yourself any difference from just the resolution, that would be a good starting point, as would any other CD/SACD hybrid, since those transfers were typically done in the same mastering session. The releases from Mobile Fidelity are a great A-B comparison, because the CD...
 And again, you're ascribing a lot of importance to 24-bit, when you have no basis of comparison other than CDs that were likely mastered under completely different conditions. A remastered CD can produce the exact same results that you describe. Lower frequencies depend the least on high resolution, so any differences you observe with bass performance can almost assuredly originate with differences in EQ or other processing used in the mastering. The true basis of...
Quote: Hmmm,  I recall that the purchased songs in my iTunes library were all upgraded to 256k AAC in the background. No charge. No intervention on my part at all. Of course, I originally paid $0.99 for them, and the price after the 256k upgrade stayed the same. As far as iTunes Match being joke, are you joking? Or rather, do you actually use iTunes Match? I use it everyday, on my work computer and my iPhone.  10,000+ songs available anytime. When I add new music to my...