or Connect

Posts by Woochifer

Very nice, didn't see this one coming. Rather than bumping up the monthly data allotments, they're getting creative with how they count the data. Rolling over unused data is just the latest move that adds value to T-Mobile's lower priced plans. With unlimited music streaming and speed testing, and now rollover data, a 1 or 3 GB plan on T-Mobile goes further than competing plans, even though they might now look similar pricewise. Even though T-Mobile doesn't charge overage...
The Metal API and Epic Zen Garden will run fine on the 5s if you've upgraded to iOS 8. The line in the sand will increasingly become 64-bit support, which all new App Store submittals will require starting in February.  There's not a huge performance gap between the A7 and A8, except in power consumption. So, I would expect the 5s to remain a viable developer target for quite a while. Perhaps as long as the 6 and 6 Plus remain viable, since all three models are also...
The GPUs were modified into an 8-cluster configuration, and Apple has been hiring GPU engineers at a brisk pace. The GPU modifications on the A8X seem like a modest first step similar to how the A4 and A5 built minor optimizations around reference CPU designs before the more highly custom work was unveiled starting with the A6.
If Apple follows the Intelesque pattern they've established, the A9 will be a much bigger microarchitectural change than the A8. The A8X already hints at a custom GPU, more RAM, and possibly expanding beyond dual CPU cores with the A9. Going with Samsung seems like an obvious choice, since the 14nm process would allow for a greater die shrink and reduction in power usage.   The A8 had a modest processing power increase because the microarchitectural changes were more...
The time to evaluate an OS or even a new iOS device is not right when it comes, but after the initial issues have been flagged and fixed. People are comparing the EOL'd version of the previous OS with the first release of the new OS. Of course, the older OS will be more stable, because it has already gone through multiple iterative rounds of bug fixes and optimizations. And then there's the hardware. The problems with iOS 7 inordinately affected the 64-bit devices far more...
But, that's the whole point. These are temporary promos. I don't see them moving the needle in any direction, other than limiting defections in the short-term. IMO, the ace that T-Mobile has is quite simple -- no overage charges. AT&T charges $15 per 1 GB over, and Verizon charges $10 to $15 per 1 GB over. I don't think promos have fueled T-Mobile's growth spurt. I think the transparency of their plans, getting rid of contracts, aggressive improvements to the network, and...
Reboots/resprings were very common with the early versions of iOS 7. Look up "white screen of death" and you'll find plenty of references. With my 5s at least, this issue had largely gone away by the time 7.0.4 rolled out. Not sure if it was because Apple fixed iOS or because developers updated their apps for iOS 7 or a combination. And since iOS 8 came out, I have had exactly zero reboots/resprings and the app crashes are largely limited to a group of games that had...
Yeah, when you go over your data cap, Verizon charges overage fees to the tune of $10 for every 1 GB over (rounded up to the next whole number). I don't know about Sprint, but T-Mobile's top tier unlimited plan ($80 a month) is really unlimited with no throttling.
Don't know if things have improved in the interim; but, before the merger with T-Mobile, Metro PCS actually had more customers in the SF Bay Area than Sprint because the network was so bad. And Sprint's insistence on keeping their phones locked in perpetuity pretty much eliminated them from consideration when I was shopping for a carrier last year. Just in the last year since I went on T-Mobile, they have exempted music streaming from data caps and added free tethering....
Of course "it's been shown" because T-Mobile tells you right up front how much 4G/LTE data you get every month before throttling kicks in. You're making it sound like they somehow hide the data caps from their customers. Technically, I have an unlimited plan, but T-Mobile always described it as a "5 GB 4G" plan. And unlike these grandfathered "unlimited" plans, T-Mobile offers an actual unlimited plan with no throttling. And your point about "worst LTE coverage" -- what...