or Connect

Posts by Woochifer

I would hope that this is a sign that Apple is fixing the iCloud Drive bug.   Better to take all of iCloud offline than subject even more users to having their entire document library wiped out if they reset the settings on their phone. iCloud Drive should have never been activated in the first place without Yosemite, and this is just another black eye on a feature that doesn't even have all its functions complete yet.
I would HOPE that's why iCloud is down. iCloud Drive should never have been released without Yosemite, nor should it have been offered as an option during the iOS 8 installation process. iCloud Drive does not sync with Mavericks or any earlier versions of OS X, and this needs to be spelled out very clearly, since Apple does not offer any way of unconverting iCloud Drive once it's done.
Even though iCloud Drive was one of the touted features of iOS 8 and Yosemite, Apple should have never activated this feature with the initial iOS 8 release. Without Yosemite, it's useless to a lot of users, yet it permanently converts existing files synced to iCloud.   Given that I use iTunes to update iOS and will perform a restoration from backup at regular intervals, I've been asked multiple times already whether I want to convert my files to iCloud Drive. This...
I think it's much simpler than that. Prior AI articles indicated that 8.0.1 builds were seeded to carriers for network testing even before iOS 8.0 was released. Given that the primary bug with iOS 8.0.1 is the cellular connection, something obviously went awry between the time that the carrier testing occurred and today's release.
Someone's either really hard up for attention or has more money than brains, if they're going to gather thousands of dollars worth of electronics and then bend the devices to the breaking point just to prove that they can.   I just go by the easy pocketability standard. If the phone encounters resistance when slipping it into your pocket or you feel it uncomfortably pinching, you need to stop wearing skinny jeans or find some other way to carry the phone if you must have...
The real problem is that this release supposedly made its way into the carriers' hands. Yet, the cellular connection is the primary failure. Something might have happened in the pre-release exchanges between the carriers' techs and Apple. But, there's no excuse whatsoever for breaking Touch ID. That one's entirely on Apple.
Most of the memes that have been trotted out over the past week (i.e., iOS 8 is a disaster, bendgate, etc.) are just more of the usual internet echo chamber and trolling that bombards most tech blogs and forums on an everyday basis. The introduction of a new device and OS just provides fresh targets to shoot at and lie about. For me, iOS 8.0 has mostly run fine with none of the showstopping bugs that accompanied iOS 7.0 (how quickly people forget the so-called "white...
But, the thing to keep in mind with conglomerates like this is that the various divisions operate almost as autonomous companies. It's the reason why Apple can still collaborate with Samsung on chip manufacturing. And why Samsung's mobile division was caught flat-footed when Apple introduced the 64-bit A7 last year. Samsung's semiconductor division was likely more interested in keeping a client happy than losing a contract (and inviting yet another lawsuit, and possibly...
That's the biggest fail of the latest Samsung commercial. It draws attention to the fact that Apple has introduced larger screened iPhones. But, I don't think Samsung "made Apple" do anything. Samsung obsesses about what their competitors do. Apple doesn't. And those commercials that you cited came out only in the last few months. I suspect that Apple has been working on the iPhone 6 a LOT longer than that. If there's a so-called missing feature, it's usually because Apple...
I think Apple waited until they reduced the power consumption on the chip enough so that they get decent battery life without having to bulk up the device. If you look at the benchmarks on the A8, they're not a huge leap above the A7. But, according to Apple, the A8 cut the power consumption in half. And I think that was the design goal that Apple had in mind before going to the larger screens. A lot of what Apple does nowadays seems driven by the performance/watt.