or Connect

Posts by Woochifer

I'm actually surprised by how low that number is, given the three-week trial period. But, I guess that word got out about the extent to which Apple Music takes over your music collection.   I chose to stick with iTunes Match, and not bother with trying out Apple Music. Way too many unknowns about how Apple Music will make changes to my existing music library, and whether these changes are irreversible should I choose to cancel Apple Music.   Would be worth trying if...
Quote:When the iPhone 3G came out, I definitely wanted to try out the apps and games. But, I had zero interest in getting tied down to an exorbitant smartphone contract. So, I bought an iPod touch (2nd gen) and it quickly became the most heavily used device in our house. Bought a second one the following year, and my wife still uses it. It wasn't until factory unlocked iPhones and contract-free plans became more widely available less than 3 years ago that I decided to...
Oh well, I guess this answers the question of how Apple would deal with the iPod touch potentially outperforming the larger screened iOS devices -- they simply did not allow it to happen. Would have loved to see how the A8 could perform without the added overhead of the larger screen and higher resolution.   But, with Apple now introducing an underclocked A8 variant, this now begs the question of whether an A8-powered 4" iPhone will appear this fall.
Carrying a flip phone and an iPod touch are also far less expensive than an iPhone + plan. My wife does exactly that (and so did I until I bought a 5s on release date). And it's not a hassle at all, since she doesn't care much for the iPhone's extra utility and throws everything into a bottomless purse anyway.
I have an iPhone 5s and the battery life has always been averaged 5-6 hours, depending on what I'm doing. The A7's a great processor, but it can run hot and chew through battery life like crazy on certain tasks.   My understanding is that the A8 is more efficient, and most of the power consumption savings ended up going towards the larger screen and higher resolution. I would expect that in regular usage, the iPod touch will show surprisingly long battery life.   In...
 I have a late-2006 white Intel iMac (Core2Duo processor, maxed out to 3 GB RAM). Eight years old, replaced a failed hard drive and logic board along the way, but still in use almost 24/7 for computing and as a media server to our home theater. It can only be upgraded through Lion. I originally held out on upgrading to Lion because we still used several applications that relied on Rosetta (most notably MS Office 2004, which I kept because I had to use the VB scripts that...
The common use cases that get bandied around are young kids and people who just want a media player or gaming device with no subscriptions required. I also hear a lot about how developers like to use the iPod touch for testing. And my wife uses one because she refuses to buy a smartphone (does not want the extra expense over the $100/year prepaid feature phone plan that she's on right now). But, the enterprise scenario that you bring up is actually very plausible. We...
Color me pleasantly surprised by the A8! Very curious to see how this benchmarks versus the other A8 devices. With the 4" screen and lower resolution, the iPod touch has fewer millstones to drag on its performance.   Planned to get a pink one for my wife (she still refuses to get a smartphone, but carries a 3G iPod touch everywhere). But, then I saw the system requirements ... first iOS device that DOES NOT support Snow Leopard! Sign of things to come. Decision time now...
 Nice to know that someone has spoken to all of "the rest of us." If things are "perfectly stable" then why is a version 8.4.1 being issued? Since iOS 8.1.1 came out, every successive version of iOS 8 indeed made my phone faster and more stable. But, 8.4 has been a step backwards in my case. I've already submitted bug reports to Apple, and topics like this SHOULD BE places where issues get reported. If I'm the only one reporting specific issues, then I'm fine with my case...
"Launch" in August.   Arrive in October, after 10s of millions of the latest iPhones are already in consumers' hands.