or Connect

Posts by Woochifer

Launch Phone app, tap "Contacts" tab to view contacts = two stepsLaunch Contacts app to view contacts = one step Like I said, it's simply counterintuitive to launch a phone app if I simply want to find someone's address or contact them by text or FaceTime them. And why should accessing contacts work differently with my iPhone compared to our iPads and iPod touches? Sounds like you got used to one way of doing something, and now presume that it should be the only way.
The big difference is that many of the apps that Samsung pre-installs will duplicate the functions already built into the Google Android OS installation. Instead of having one built-in app for music or photos and other functions, you end up with both Google AND Samsung's apps installed by default. And on the S6, even if you "remove" an app, that merely deactivates the app and does not free up any storage space in many cases. You're citing the lack of free space left over...
If I'm not making a call, it's an extra step to open the phone app first in order to access my contacts. All of that extra functionality you cite is superfluous if I just want to e-mail or text somebody, or get directions to their home or office. For me, it makes more intuitive sense to have Contacts as a separate app, since over 90% of the time, I'm not looking somebody up in order to call them.
Not everyone uses the phone as their primary way of communicating. The Contacts app saves the extra step if you're texting or e-mailing someone. Contacts also stores the snail mail, FaceTime, and other social media links. I don't think I've ever accessed contacts within the Phone app. I just go to the Contacts app first, no matter if I'm calling, texting, e-mailing, or FaceTiming someone.
The base mode GS6 at least gets 32 GB of storage for that $660 asking price (much needed because of how much additional crapware Samsung already adds to Android before they even get to these new preinstalled third party apps). But, all of the other configurations cost $10 to $110 more for an equivalent iPhone 6. I guess this is the built-in cost of the BOGO offers that past history suggests will start right around the launch date.
High price does not equal high end. B&O is a textbook example of this. They pack a lot of gimmickry into their product lines. Some of it sounds decent. But, you're paying more for the brand and the styling than the actual sound quality.  Most studio monitors are also optimized for near field listening, so B&O (and most home audio speakers) wouldn't be on the shopping list to begin with. And in the larger rooms, recording engineers are not going to use monitors with a sound...
Surprised that nobody's drawing more from the Firefox example. Changing the default browser on Firefox instantly decreased Google's search share among Firefox users from over 80% to around 60%. Firefox's browser share is about 14%, yet switching the default search engine immediately dropped Google's overall search share to its lowest point in years. In recent weeks, Google was able to stabilize the defection rate by adding a button to its home page that switches the...
The issue is not that they they're delaying encryption, but delaying in making encryption mandatory, or at least switched on by default. Problem with enabling full encryption is the performance hit that it creates on non-ARMv8 devices. Pick your poison. Go unencrypted, or go slow.
The encryption is a definite performance hit on Lollipop. That's why the OEMs resisted making full encryption mandatory. The charts below from Anandtech illustrate just how much full encryption slows down the NAND read/write performance. This will remain an issue with any Android device not using 64-bit ARMv8.   http://www.anandtech.com/show/8725/encryption-and-storage-performance-in-android-50-lollipop    
That's because these research firms have a history of getting the market dynamics wrong. IDC even admitted that the "other"category is their garbage bin where they assign the extraneous data that they can't explain. In other words, they do not actually track any of these white label devices. And Strategy Analytics has a particularly spotty history of making up crap...