or Connect

Posts by Woochifer

This doesn't surprise me. Even though the article did not specifically call out which component had the most sourcing difficulties, for years Apple has been the last remaining OEM customer for the 1.8" hard drive format, and Toshiba was the last manufacturer. The 1.8" hard drive had seen no improvements or new R&D for at least three years, and with sales on the decline I'm actually surprised that the iPod classic lasted as long as it did. We've had rumors of its pending...
 The problem is that AMC currently charges a carriage fee to EVERY basic cable subscriber. Selling a season pass through iTunes is a far more limited market with comparatively low revenue upside. The whole rationale for non-premium cable channels such as FX and AMC going to original prestige programming is to make the channels so essential to a large cross-section of viewers that the cable/satellite providers must re-up for those channels, even if the carriage fee goes way...
 I think a lot of this is overreliance on the OTA updates. In order to do the OTA update, the device needs to create a full backup of the current OS and a full image of the new OS after unpacking and uncompressing the installation file. These are fail safes that at least give you a chance to restart and roll back your device if something goes wrong during the installation. That's why it requires ~6 GB of free space to update to iOS 8 using OTA installation. If you...
My experience with a 5s was the exact opposite. From iOS 7.0 through 7.0.3, the phone would randomly restart every few days and a large number of my apps would crash regularly. Safari was particularly problematic. 7.0.4 was the first version of iOS 7 that did not crash or restart all the time, and it came out in mid-November. Ever since updating to iOS 8 on the first day it came out, I have not had a single restart and the app crashes have been limited to a handful of apps...
 Yep, Apple plays the long game. Perfect example is how they executed the 64-bit iOS transition. They didn't just introduce a 64-bit SoC to fill out a spec sheet, they had a 64-bit OS ready to go at launch, and went 64-bit with all of the preinstalled apps as well. Now, they've positioned the product line to go all 64-bit by next year, which gives developers a very large target market for 64-bit apps. All the while, Apple's SoCs perform at a high level while remaining very...
That's for "marketing" not just advertising, and it includes the entire company, not just their mobile division. That said, a huge chunk of Samsung's marketing budget IIRC goes to spiffs at the retail level -- basically, bonuses in cash and products given to retailers and sales reps that meet certain sales goals and allocate prime spots to display Samsung products. This individual and collective financial incentive is why retail sales reps push Samsung so hard. Apple...
This is what they get when they focus obsessively on what the competition is up to, rather than obsessively focusing on making their own products better. Their marketing has turned into a lame joke rife with desperation. And they can't get out of their own way in trying to account for what Apple does.   Samsung started pre-orders for the Note 4 on the same day that Apple released the iPhone 6/6 Plus. Their Note 4 ad has been claiming that the next big thing IS HERE. Yet,...
If you reduce the size of the OTA updates, then what part of the safety net would Apple need to remove? The installation package is about 1.9 GB. Unpacking and uncompressing the iOS 8 files will take up more space than that, and backing up the iOS 7 files just in case things go awry takes up around 1.4 GB. Obviously, going through iTunes offloads the downloading and unpacking, and gives you the fail safes without having to clear out a huge chunk of storage. Personally, I...
I'm on 8.0.2 and find it at least as stable as 7.1.2. None of the random resets (i.e., the "white screen of death") and widespread app crashes that plagued the early iOS 7 releases. Still some random bugs that pop up periodically, particularly with Bluetooth (and 8.1 purportedly addresses the Bluetooth issues). But, on my phone, iOS 8 has been much a much smoother ride than iOS 7 was.
Actually, I'd been having issues with Bluetooth since iOS 7.1. My turn-by-turn directions would get chopped off mid-sentence unless I had streaming music playing at the same time.   iOS 8 actually fixed that issue, but the Bluetooth connection with my 2012 Mazda3 has been acting weird. And it has continued after updating to 8.0.2.   No persistent issues, just things happening at random. Like when I had a music video lined up, the momentary pause between the commercial...