or Connect

Posts by Woochifer

Color me pleasantly surprised by the A8! Very curious to see how this benchmarks versus the other A8 devices. With the 4" screen and lower resolution, the iPod touch has fewer millstones to drag on its performance.   Planned to get a pink one for my wife (she still refuses to get a smartphone, but carries a 3G iPod touch everywhere). But, then I saw the system requirements ... first iOS device that DOES NOT support Snow Leopard! Sign of things to come. Decision time now...
 Nice to know that someone has spoken to all of "the rest of us." If things are "perfectly stable" then why is a version 8.4.1 being issued? Since iOS 8.1.1 came out, every successive version of iOS 8 indeed made my phone faster and more stable. But, 8.4 has been a step backwards in my case. I've already submitted bug reports to Apple, and topics like this SHOULD BE places where issues get reported. If I'm the only one reporting specific issues, then I'm fine with my case...
"Launch" in August.   Arrive in October, after 10s of millions of the latest iPhones are already in consumers' hands.
For me, iOS 8.4 has been a step back overall.   Since iOS 8.3, using Safari has made my phone heat up noticeably, and iOS 8.4 does nothing to fix that.   The Music app made my user-defined radio stations practically unusable in the car by throwing all of them into the "Recently Played" pile. The stations now show up in tiny print, and in a different order every time I start the Music app. I used to treat my iTunes Radio stations like presets, and had them in a specific...
Much of the A8's performance improvement got absorbed by the larger screen with the iPhone 6/6 Plus. So, there's not a huge performance difference between the A7-powered iPhone 5s and the A8-powered iPhone 6. And both the A7 and A8 use the same amount of RAM. If Apple intends to keep the 4" screen size with the iPod touch, then installing the A8 would create a monster performer that would rival any of their current devices (except for the A8X-powered iPad Air 2). And I...
BFD. When will the Note 5 actually come out?   Last year, Samsung announced the Note 4 before the iPhone 6/6 Plus. Yet, the Samsung arrived more than a month after the new Apple models did. Even if Samsung announces in August, will the Note 5 actually be available before the new iPhones? I would venture to guess no.   Recall the Samsung commercial mocking Apple for being late with large screens?   And how it touted that with the Note 4 "The Next Big Thing Is...
Home Sharing was nicer on a feature checklist than in actual usage. Could never get it to work reliably on all of our iOS devices. It would take about 10 minutes for the library and playlists to load up, and even after doing all of that, the playback would often cut out or sound choppy. Took less time and trouble to just go to the computer and locally sync a playlist.   I subscribe to iTunes Match anyway, and use either AirPlay or a media server connected through a PS3...
Yep, I started noticing the issue this morning as well. It seems to primarily affect compilations in which I designated an "Album Artist" such as DJ mixes. But, the glitch shows up in all sorts of random places. It's irritating, because with those albums I can only listen to one track at a time.   Already tried logging in and out of iTunes and toggling iTunes Match on and off. The issue persists. I'll try logging my main computer (where I store my music files) in and out...
On T-Mobile as well, and I have not seen any BSOD or random restart issues. In fact, since updating my 5s to iOS 8 last September, I've had only one respring occurrence.   The carrier update will always ask if you want to install the update. The current carrier version for T-Mobile is 19.1, and that has not changed since at least iOS 8.2 (if not 8.1.x).   I do occasionally see the wi-fi calling disappear, but that's not very often. I can usually re-enable it by...
If we follow the autonomous car rumors, Carnegie Mellon University has one of the leading robotics research teams in the world. They had recently teamed with Uber to develop self-driving cars. But, now the rumors are flying fast that Uber backstabbed their purported partner by poaching much of Carnegie Mellon's research team, and will open their own research office in Pittsburgh.   Plus, let's not forget that CMU is where the Mach kernel that underpins OS X and iOS was...