or Connect

Posts by Woochifer

Actually, the real irony is that these anti-Apple ads actually attack the majority of Samsung's own smartphones -- i.e., the millions of phones they make with smaller screens, lower battery capacity, and/or LCD screens. With this latest campaign, I can't imagine how these hammy and ill-timed spots would bother anyone at Apple, especially since I'm not even sure that they have aired on any kind of paid media. Recall Samsung's much maligned Galaxy Gear skiing promo video. It...
Right, so those lawsuits against Apple using Samsung's standards-essential patents were filed by unicorns and leprechauns.  Someone robs my house, so I should just drop all charges and let them profit off of my property.  Yep, but Samsung should also be smart enough to come up with their own ideas that don't infringe on Apple's patents. In the cases decided so far, Samsung has lost, and pending appeals, they're on the hook for a ten-figure sum. They've already had to...
It might get worse after Apple's quarterlies are announced tomorrow.
 And those reviews come out before the phones are actually released. In the case of the 5s, the review embargo was lifted on Sept. 17 -- three days before the device went on sale. And in my case, reading the Anandtech review confirmed that I should go with the 5s over the 5c. The choice of whether to buy or wait just comes down to timing, and whether there are any remaining issues to sort out. Last summer at this time I was deciding between buying an iPhone 5 or waiting...
Quote:The iPhone 5c also uses stamped steel internal frames. While much of the attention has focused on the plastic shell, the use of stamped steel also greatly contributes to the 5c's lower production cost by reducing the time needed for machining. That also explains why the 5c weighs more than the 5s. If Liquidmetal allows for Apple to form durable and attractive metal shell casings without time-consuming machining, then they will have the best of all worlds -- cutting...
 Yeah, and the timing of Barra's departure just happened to coincide with his fellow Googler girlfriend becoming Sergei Brin's mistress. http://nypost.com/2013/08/30/google-transfers-glass-staffer-after-billionaire-brins-mistress-outed/
Has anyone actually seen these ads (including the "Wall Hugger" spot) in any kind of paid placement? Or is Samsung just posting this stuff onto YouTube in hopes of ginning up controversy and free clicks on tech blogs? IIRC, they've produced other embarrassingly bad promo spots (like the infamous Galaxy Gear skiing vid) that they narrowly target at a specific audience, but never run on any kind of paid media. Just free publicity.
The Thomas Guides are now published by Rand McNally. Apparently, they are no longer updated with the same veracity as when Thomas Bros. operated, and no longer updated annually. The Wikipedia entry says that they now purchase the database info from third parties that might not know the local terrain as well as Thomas Bros. once did. Thomas did actually make the transition to digital mapping and retained the same fanatical attention to accuracy until they overexpanded their...
Yep, when traveling in low coverage areas, my battery life plummets if the cell radio is on -- even on standby. Right now I am at 43% with 3 1/2 hours usage and 17 hours total. That's with more than an hour of streaming video. But that's in a strong LTE coverage area. Also I just updated to 7.1.2.Other times I will drain more than 50% of the battery life from playing a slot machine game for less than two hours.
No mention of whether Apple included the promised iMessage flaw where text messages continue to get intercepted by Apple's servers after a user switches their number over to a non-iOS phone.   To anyone who has an issue with the update, are you doing this over-the-air or plugged into iTunes? If you do the update using iTunes, the update will reload the entire OS. The OTA update will only find and replace the changed and new files. While I have read accounts of issues...