or Connect

Posts by Woochifer

Read Apple's iOS security white paper, or listen to Steve Gibson's security podcasts on iOS (episodes 446 through 448). The level of security that Apple builds into iOS is impressive and seems well thought out. IIRC, a passcode is required during restart because iOS' security protocol purges the encryption keys used by Touch ID from memory whenever the phone restarts. Apple also requires that the hardware identifiers on both the A7 and the Touch ID match up. The...
I'd be curious to see if Apple actually implements NFC, and if so, how they differentiate their implementation from others. Touch ID is great. Vastly superior to the swipe sensors that other devices use. The real genius of Touch ID is that people actually use it. I always read bloggers and Android backers commenting on how weak Touch ID's security level is and how it can be broken with a duped fingerprint, etc. But, that's not the point. The real point is that less than...
 But, the size of the online retail market is not as big as their bloated stock price justifies. By its very nature, retail operates on razor thin margins and in order to justify a high market cap, those companies have to report exceptionally high revenues and/or margins. Keep in mind that Walmart's revenues dwarf Amazon's by more than six times over, and Amazon's total revenues only outpoint Best Buy by about 30%. Amazon's valuation is  based on an expectation that there...
The Consumer Reports suit was just harassment to try and force more positive coverage. Unfortunately, it worked, as CR made special accommodations for Bose in their speaker testing, which not surprisingly boosted their ratings considerably. Didn't know about Motorola and Harman. I guess Bose now feels confident enough to take on the big boys, rather than just suing two-man shops that dare to use a century-old wave guide design for their speakers.
It will often come down to how large a room you want to fill, how deep you want to go, and whether you want that room filled using a larger box or a smaller box (small AND powerful subwoofers can be very expensive because they require more powerful amplification and better engineered drivers to move the same amount of air).
 There is a downside for Bose as well, given that they are used to suing underfunded independent shops that don't have the resources to research prior art. Noise cancellation is a relatively straight-forward concept, and has been taught in physics classes and used for decades in numerous applications -- well before Bose entered the consumer headphone market. Beats is a material threat to Bose because in only a few years, they've taken over the higher priced headphone...
Will be interesting to see how Beats/Apple responds. Will they settle or will they fight like a rabid street dog?   Bose has a history of trying to patent commonplace approaches to audio product design that had already existed long before their products came onto the market, and suing smaller audio companies that use these long-standing approaches. They also have whole portfolio of Rube Goldberg-like signal processing approaches that produce very marginal differences in...
 And ultimately, that will put the squeeze on Samsung's margins. Android OEMs face a similar dilemma between trying to differentiate their hardware at the expense of margins, or packing their phones with gimmicky software features that don't squeeze margins as much but degrade the user experience. Otherwise, Android OEMs share a common platform and use many common components. Aside from the economies of scale advantage that Samsung enjoys, Android OEMs have few options...
Actually, the real irony is that these anti-Apple ads actually attack the majority of Samsung's own smartphones -- i.e., the millions of phones they make with smaller screens, lower battery capacity, and/or LCD screens. With this latest campaign, I can't imagine how these hammy and ill-timed spots would bother anyone at Apple, especially since I'm not even sure that they have aired on any kind of paid media. Recall Samsung's much maligned Galaxy Gear skiing promo video. It...
Right, so those lawsuits against Apple using Samsung's standards-essential patents were filed by unicorns and leprechauns.  Someone robs my house, so I should just drop all charges and let them profit off of my property.  Yep, but Samsung should also be smart enough to come up with their own ideas that don't infringe on Apple's patents. In the cases decided so far, Samsung has lost, and pending appeals, they're on the hook for a ten-figure sum. They've already had to...