or Connect

Posts by Woochifer

T-Mobile only started their LTE expansion last year, so they have been playing catch up. Even so, just in the 9 months that I've been on T-Mobile's $30 prepaid plan, the LTE coverage in the Bay Area has gone from nearly nonexistent to available in the majority of places that I go. Even in most places without LTE, their HSPA+ ("4G") speeds are generally very good. One issue for prepaid customers is that those plans supposedly do not include domestic roaming, so you depend...
According to T-Mobile CEO John Legere, they pitched the idea to Apple first. This was a win-win for both companies, because the iPhone's user share on T-Mobile is a lot lower than with the other three major carriers. Apple provides the free test drive phones to T-Mobile, and for the time being, they are the exclusive provider for the trial program. T-Mobile has set a goal of 1 million test drives, so that's a lot of customers trying T-Mobile's network for the first time...
This is quite a bit different from the T-Mobile program in that Sprint still requires you to sign up for service, sign a contract, and pay for the phone and service plan up front. This just clarifies the refund policy.   The T-Mobile test drive requires nothing more than a credit card preauthorization, and at the end of the 7-day trial, you bring the phone back to a T-Mobile store. No contracts, plans, or up front payments. It's a much lower barrier for a consumer to try...
You're not purchasing anything or signing any contracts. Even with return policies and early cancellation privileges, it's still a big psychological barrier to purchase a device and sign a long and complicated contract. Sending someone an iPhone with unlimited data and voice minutes without making an actual purchase (a credit preauthorization is different simply because no official transaction occurs if you return the phone) is a much easier decision than forking over real...
Oh and one of the questions during the Q&A was why does the test drive exclude Samsung and Android?   Legere said that they approached Apple with the idea, and Apple said yes. Apple and T-Mobile both also saw a need to increase the iPhone's market penetration on T-Mobile's network, so that's the other reason why the test drive program only includes Apple for the time being.   Knowing the myopic tech press (which Legere seems to enjoy picking on), their headlines...
Nice opportunity to upgrade existing T-Mobile customers too. Legere also pitched the test drive as an opportunity for people using older or competing devices on T-Mobile's network to try the "latest and greatest" iPhone, currently the 5s. They seemed to hint that this test drive program will move over to the newer iPhone model when it comes out. Apparently, Apple is providing the test drive phones to T-Mobile for free.   Very smart all the way around, because it removes...
 Seems that Apple is already talking about designing "headphone modules" with accessory makers that provide analog outputs and system control integration. I would assume that these modules could also enable multiple ports for plugging in other devices. http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/06/05/apple-announces-lightning-enabled-headphone-standard-in-wwdc-session While it might enable a new range of accessory designs and features, standardizing around Lightning headphones...
You sure about that? According to these measurements, the digital-to-analog audio chain used on the iPhone 5 performs better than most dedicated headphone amps. If the earlier post about Apple going with Wolfson DACs on the iPhone is true, then that would explain why, since Wolfson DACs are more often found in high end audio components. http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-5/audio-quality.htm  
Bad idea. It would instantly render iPhones incompatible with all existing analog headphones. I use a set of Grado headphones with my iOS devices and would not want to trade it in for a limited selection of Lightning-compatible cans.   I get the temptation to offload not only the headphone jack, but the internal digital-to-analog audio converter and op-amp as well. In order to restore compatibility, a Lightning-to-3.5mm jack adapter would be needed. But, if the 30-pin...
Would be nice if DED actually provided examples of these errant "nearly every" rumors that he cites. A large cross-section of the tech press had already written about the iOS health and home platforms, and predicted tighter integration between iOS and OS X. Yes, some articles I saw were off by a lot (namely the articles that predicted hardware debuts), and there were indeed some major surprises that I did not see anybody write about (namely Swift and third party...