or Connect

Posts by Woochifer

Right, so Apple has apparently stopped all chip development and iOS 7 is the last mobile OS they will ever issue. All these rumors about some iOS 8 being introduced next month, and an iPhone 6 coming out in the fall, apparently before any 64-bit Android phones come out, are just evidence of Apple being maxed out. The Play Store didn't have enough malware or live wallpapers to satisfy demand, but things really stepped up as of late. Yeah, every Android phone I've ever tried...
Quote:"unethical" "illegal" "hijacking" "just shut your traps" "your opinion on this matter is truly irrelevant and unimportant? Not much for hyperbole or self-aggrandizing, eh? C'mon.  As indicated, iMessages is an opt-in service. It's not enabled by default when you activate an iPhone. The primary issue here is more about how Apple does not make it clear that you need to log your device out of Apple ID, Find My iPhone, and other services before moving a phone number or...
My understanding is that switching off iMessage does not consistently solve this issue. This is a long-standing problem, and it seemed to affect people who sold their iPhone, but did not log out of their Apple ID. Supposedly, one of the major carriers had been telling customers they would need to wait ~40 days before iMessages would stop intercepting SMS texts. I'm not sure if this applied to those switching platforms or merely swapping out one iPhone for...
 The thing though is that type of bass is not difficult to reproduce, if you don't care how it impacts the other sounds. Even venerable audiophile darling Sennheiser once marketed a lineup of bass-tilted headphones aimed at younger listeners. They too sounded like crap, but at least they only set you back $150, rather than the nearly $300 that Dre wants from you. Anyway, at least I got a laugh out of this.  Except that using bass-boosted headphones in the studio for...
Read my prior post. My whole point is that Apple at its core is more about substance. Style matters, but your point about the Mac Pro attests to Apple being very much an engineering and innovation-driven company. If anything, the Beats acquisition denigrates Apple's brand image, precisely because Beats exemplifies the very style-over-substance credo that clueless media critics and "analysts" accuse Apple of following. Apple's products are fashion-savvy, but they also have...
It's the same issue as Bose -- they're not bad products per se, just way overpriced and a poor value compared to other less visibly marketed options on the market. For my ears, I'm partial to the Grado headphones. For less than $100, their SR-60i and SR-80i models will blow the pants off of other cans costing 3X more. Balance, detail, true sounding bass -- not the bottom heavy mush that Beats serves up. Get into their higher priced $300+ models, and the musicality is off...
The main issue I have with this merger is that the know-nothings in the tech press will chime on and on about how this "culturally compatible" merger is the ultimate expression of style-over-substance. The problem here is that if the merger goes through, Apple's critics will be half right.   For people who know anything about Apple, the company values style, but prioritizes substance even more. If anything, Apple thinks things through at greater depth than any other...
Tech bloggers consistently miss the importance of content deals. They're so fixated on all the eye candy and spec'y talk, that they forget about what people actually do on their devices in the first place. Not surprising considering how much of the tech blogosphere blindly follows the credo that content should be free. But, I think securing content is really the way for Apple to create truly valuable and interconnected hardware. An Apple TV is just another set top box,...
As others have indicated, the only conceivable reason for this acquisition that I can see would entail content and streaming rights, and perhaps some technology tied to creating curated playlists. By all accounts, the Beats radio service is a serious contender, and the curation seems better dialed into how listeners mix and match artists and genres. Some of the mergers and partnerships out there that on the surface do not make much sense, like the Dish/Blockbuster merger,...
Quote: I meant more in the context of their advertising. Should have been clearer.