or Connect

Posts by Woochifer

The real problem is that this release supposedly made its way into the carriers' hands. Yet, the cellular connection is the primary failure. Something might have happened in the pre-release exchanges between the carriers' techs and Apple. But, there's no excuse whatsoever for breaking Touch ID. That one's entirely on Apple.
Most of the memes that have been trotted out over the past week (i.e., iOS 8 is a disaster, bendgate, etc.) are just more of the usual internet echo chamber and trolling that bombards most tech blogs and forums on an everyday basis. The introduction of a new device and OS just provides fresh targets to shoot at and lie about. For me, iOS 8.0 has mostly run fine with none of the showstopping bugs that accompanied iOS 7.0 (how quickly people forget the so-called "white...
But, the thing to keep in mind with conglomerates like this is that the various divisions operate almost as autonomous companies. It's the reason why Apple can still collaborate with Samsung on chip manufacturing. And why Samsung's mobile division was caught flat-footed when Apple introduced the 64-bit A7 last year. Samsung's semiconductor division was likely more interested in keeping a client happy than losing a contract (and inviting yet another lawsuit, and possibly...
That's the biggest fail of the latest Samsung commercial. It draws attention to the fact that Apple has introduced larger screened iPhones. But, I don't think Samsung "made Apple" do anything. Samsung obsesses about what their competitors do. Apple doesn't. And those commercials that you cited came out only in the last few months. I suspect that Apple has been working on the iPhone 6 a LOT longer than that. If there's a so-called missing feature, it's usually because Apple...
I think Apple waited until they reduced the power consumption on the chip enough so that they get decent battery life without having to bulk up the device. If you look at the benchmarks on the A8, they're not a huge leap above the A7. But, according to Apple, the A8 cut the power consumption in half. And I think that was the design goal that Apple had in mind before going to the larger screens. A lot of what Apple does nowadays seems driven by the performance/watt.
It seems that everything Samsung does nowadays is some sort of reaction to what someone else does.   What's funny about this is that Samsung announced the Note 4 a week before Apple revealed the 6 and 6 Plus. But, unlike Apple's announcement where they also announced the pricing and release date, Samsung did not announce the cost or when the Note 4 would actually be available.   Yet, after the Apple event, Samsung plastered the airwaves with those "I WAS HERE FIRST!"...
The update went fine for me. Aside from some minor lagging and an occasionally oversensitive touchscreen, I haven't seen much in the way of stability or functionality issues with iOS 8. The keyboards do feel slower, but I thought that had more to do with the new predictive typing feature. I don't know if this is relevant, but I restored my phone to factory settings before installing iOS 8. I also did the installation using a wired connection to iTunes, like I always do...
The funny part is that the Galaxy Note 4 still doesn't have an actual release date or price, nor has anyone seen any final specs about the (presumed) U.S. and overseas variants. Yet, Samsung's claiming that it's "already here"?   This is the first of Samsung's recent attack ads that I've actually seen on TV, and it reeks of desperation. Declining unit sales, declining revenue, declining market share. And that was with Apple's A7-based iOS device debuts already close to...
iOS beta testers report that the 5s works, but only if you have a T-Mobile postpaid account. I don't see any reason why the 4s and above would not also have wi-fi calling when iOS 8 GM comes out next week.
Lack of taste and tact aside, I can't see this as anything but a big backfire. It does nothing other than remind people that "Oh yeah, Apple has two larger screened iPhones coming out next week -- let me set up a reminder to preorder on Friday!" Focusing on past quotes from Apple does nothing to help sway consumers to go with the Galaxy Note 4 instead. This kind of juvenile "We were first!" rant might be a brief salve on Samsung's bruised ego. But, this kind of...