or Connect

Posts by Woochifer

Read my prior post. My whole point is that Apple at its core is more about substance. Style matters, but your point about the Mac Pro attests to Apple being very much an engineering and innovation-driven company. If anything, the Beats acquisition denigrates Apple's brand image, precisely because Beats exemplifies the very style-over-substance credo that clueless media critics and "analysts" accuse Apple of following. Apple's products are fashion-savvy, but they also have...
It's the same issue as Bose -- they're not bad products per se, just way overpriced and a poor value compared to other less visibly marketed options on the market. For my ears, I'm partial to the Grado headphones. For less than $100, their SR-60i and SR-80i models will blow the pants off of other cans costing 3X more. Balance, detail, true sounding bass -- not the bottom heavy mush that Beats serves up. Get into their higher priced $300+ models, and the musicality is off...
The main issue I have with this merger is that the know-nothings in the tech press will chime on and on about how this "culturally compatible" merger is the ultimate expression of style-over-substance. The problem here is that if the merger goes through, Apple's critics will be half right.   For people who know anything about Apple, the company values style, but prioritizes substance even more. If anything, Apple thinks things through at greater depth than any other...
Tech bloggers consistently miss the importance of content deals. They're so fixated on all the eye candy and spec'y talk, that they forget about what people actually do on their devices in the first place. Not surprising considering how much of the tech blogosphere blindly follows the credo that content should be free. But, I think securing content is really the way for Apple to create truly valuable and interconnected hardware. An Apple TV is just another set top box,...
As others have indicated, the only conceivable reason for this acquisition that I can see would entail content and streaming rights, and perhaps some technology tied to creating curated playlists. By all accounts, the Beats radio service is a serious contender, and the curation seems better dialed into how listeners mix and match artists and genres. Some of the mergers and partnerships out there that on the surface do not make much sense, like the Dish/Blockbuster merger,...
Quote: I meant more in the context of their advertising. Should have been clearer.
Well, here's something that Samsung didn't copy -- Apple doesn't care what bloggers and reviewers have to say.
My iPhone 5s ran out of charge the other night, so I dusted off the old iPod touch (2g) that I still keep docked on my clock radio. Having used the 5s since last September, going back to the 3.5" screen made me realize one thing -- for one-handed operation, Jobs and the original iPhone team got it right. For normal operations and gestures, the screen size felt right.   As I've indicated before, the iPhone 5s already pushes the limits of easy pocketability and one-handed...
I dunno. I always viewed the 5c as a supply chain play, pure and simple. By switching the shell and internals over from a time-consuming CNC-machined aluminum shell to a much simpler-to-manufacture plastic shell with stamped steel framing for the 5c, Apple ensured that the mid-tier iPhone model would not create a production bottleneck that could affect supply for the iPhone 5s.   If Apple kept the iPhone 5 in production as the mid-tier model, they would have had to...
Ugh, Strategy Analytics ... the same outfit that reported 2 million Galaxy Tabs sold at launch, when in fact Samsung had only sold 1 million units for the entire year. And after DED rightfully ripped Strategy Analytics for basically pulling a bunch of sales figures out of thin air, he now cites them as the source for this article? Some of us pay attention to the credibility of these analysts, and it doesn't make DED's case here considering how thoroughly he deconstructed...