or Connect

Posts by Woochifer

The encryption is a definite performance hit on Lollipop. That's why the OEMs resisted making full encryption mandatory. The charts below from Anandtech illustrate just how much full encryption slows down the NAND read/write performance. This will remain an issue with any Android device not using 64-bit ARMv8.   http://www.anandtech.com/show/8725/encryption-and-storage-performance-in-android-50-lollipop    
That's because these research firms have a history of getting the market dynamics wrong. IDC even admitted that the "other"category is their garbage bin where they assign the extraneous data that they can't explain. In other words, they do not actually track any of these white label devices. And Strategy Analytics has a particularly spotty history of making up crap...
I stopped reading once I saw Strategy Analytics as the source.   With these analysts, the "generic" tablets represent the catch all category where their margins of error get dumped. In other words, this is crap data.
 Well, I'm on the "s" cycle, so I'm actually very interested in this year's new models. Since I prefer the smaller form factor, the 6/6 Plus held little interest for me, especially since the A8 chip is basically a die shrink of the previous microarchitecture and memory interface upgrade that only resulted in a ~25% performance bump compared to last year's models. Most of the power efficiency gains from the die shrink went straight into the larger screen and higher...
I logged into iTunes using my AOL account for years. More for convenience than anything. Why create yet another account ID when Apple allowed me to simply use my AOL e-mail login? I mean, I still use my 20-year old AOL e-mail address, in much the same way that people keep their cell numbers.   Problem with the setup was that the AOL login became very unreliable with iTunes. Frequently, I would receive an error message that also displayed AOL's customer service number....
That area has already been used for mining and oil exploration, and over areas far greater than 1,300 acres. Much of the land in that part of Monterey County is far from pristine.
Those second ice age reports were trumpeted by the media, but not based on peer reviewed scientific studies. IIRC, those sources had about as much credibility as the various books over the years that made the bestseller charts by predicting an apocalyptic event that winds up not happening.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jupiter_Effect
The devil's in the details. Those solar highways are made of glass panels. Roadway materials have to handle high stress loads and different weather conditions, and last for many years. What are the tolerances in the seams between the panels? How do those panels handle elevation changes? What happens when the glass breaks or wears down over time? How much grip do those surfaces provide in bad weather? What happens to drainage if the material cannot absorb water? All kinds...
Sounds like this is in the southern part of the county, and in a town that has abandoned mines. Not exactly an environmentally sensitive area, and the south part of the county also has several square miles of oil fields that date back to the 1950s. Those oil fields have not been particularly productive for many years, and have been the subject of a debate whether to allow fracking in Monterey County. In the context of the land areas in that part of the county, and in...
If there's any doubt, just wait until you're near a computer and do the iOS update using iTunes. OTA delta updates might be smaller and faster than the iTunes updates that download the entire iOS package. But, remember that the botched iOS 8.0.1 update only affected those who used OTA updates. For whatever reason, it just seems that iTunes iOS updates have been less problematic than the OTA updates.   Normally, I also restore my device as new before installing a major...