or Connect

Posts by silverpraxis

First, as others have said, big projects like this almost always have underestimated budgets. Second, come on people. It's not like everyone on this thread has never splurged on a one-time purchase. It's not like Apple is buying OMGPop for $183,000,000 because they made one successful casual iPhone app (cough, Zinga) or buying Palm for $1,200,000,000 (hack, HP) or buying Yammer for... oh you get the picture. Apple is investing in a new company headquarters and this real...
My first reaction to requiring iPhone 5 screen support was elation. Then I really thought about it. I've already seen one app update that claims iPhone 5 screen size support, but all they did was make the "Home" screen on the app 4-inches. All the rest are on the old format. Then I thought about all the big games released 2 or 3 years ago that were lucky to see bug fix updates once a year, all from major dev houses. I doubt they'll release further updates now, unless...
  Settings > General > Restrictions > Enable, and choose what you want or don't want your kid to do. Looks like Apple already put in the simple work. Now it looks like parents need to put in the simple work to understand what they are giving their kids. iPhones and mobile phones in general are not marketed as devices to share. iPads are debatable, but are still set up as single-user devices.   That said, I understand your plight. Parenting is hard, and for those who...
  No, that isn't an excellent point! He was simply changing the subject to benefit his and, apparently, you view. The guy said we need to close the loopholes so that certain companies can't gain advantage over others. Of course everyone takes advantage of what's given to them, but when there's an obvious flaw in the tax code, it needs to be fixed.   And comparing the types of deductions and write-offs the average person making $50,000/yr gets to the types of deductions,...
  That's funny, I haven't read anywhere that Apple has repatriated their foreign holdings and paid US taxes on it. Where have you read that?   BlueDjinn was obviously saying if Apple wants to bring its foreign money to the US, they should stop waiting/lobbying for some tax holiday from politicians and just bring it here and pay whatever they owe as required by law. Personally, I don't think Apple cares to nor needs to bring foreign money to the US. If they don't want to...
  Right, although I don't see products at Wal*Mart advertising cheaper versions of themselves at Target either. Stores, whether physical or virtual, usually don't advertise other stores and I would think if they are smart not allow products they carry to advertise other stores either. It's commonsense, not a monopolistic practice.
  Apple doesn't set the prices of apps, the developers do. Apple stipulates what can be the reasonable increments for simpler pricing (e.g. $0.99, $1.99, $2.99). Apple also states what percentage of the sale goes to them as part of a distribution/maintenance/SDK maker fee. This is all in the contract the developer signs to agree to become a 3rd party developer for Apple's proprietary mobile OS. Apple doesn't have to give any licenses to 3rd party devs if it didn't want...
  You think you don't live in a digital prison now? Do you use credit cards? Do you use grocery store membership cards? Do you use banks? Do you pay a cable company for cable tv? Do you pay an ISP for your internet connection? Do you own a mobile phone? Do you own a car... with a (gasp) license plate? Do you only go outside with a brown paper bag over your head so the public/traffic cams don't see your face? Do you mask your heat signature with sufficiently insulating...
  An employee scanning a ticket will always be faster than leaving it to the customer to figure out how to scan their own ticket (blame ignorance, stupidity, being overwhelmed at arriving at a new place for the first time that is designed to be over-stimulating). And having a live employee there also prevents ticket fraud. The turnstile equipment and "ruggedized" PCs that run the software are expensive to purchase and maintain. The employees are cheap compared; most don't...
It is the fault of the app creators for their predatory tactics and pricing, Apple's for originally not having a better barrier to purchasing or not having more security on purchasing set by default, and the parent's for not doing their due diligence to monitor their children's activities and/or understanding the setting on their own phones.