or Connect

Posts by silverpraxis

There are so many fallacies, generalizations, and assumptions in your argument that I will have to leave it at that.
  This subcommittee is doing just that: determining if Congress should change existing laws in the tax code by interviewing representatives in the business world.   And you are correct, no person has a moral burden to pay more than is legally required. However you are incorrect when saying it is simple. The more laws you have, the more complicated the system becomes. A well-intentioned law may have unintended consequences. Hence the subcommittee to determine what might be...
 Same experience. When I called several stores in my area, they were all sold out. The sales clerks didn't even look it up in their inventory, they all just knew immediately, every store was sold out. Luckily, I found Fry's Electronics was selling it at $126 (vs. Walmart's $127). In retrospect, I think the only reason Fry's was selling at the ~same price was to have a chance at competing with the likes of Walmart. And now I feel sleazy for capitalizing on a deal that was...
  Sadly so. And once something becomes entrenched in our civilization, it's near impossible to replace/remove it.
I love when people think there is anything approaching rationality behind stock prices vs. any other metric they can recall. I also love when people think a single stock lives in its own economic microcosm, as if nothing external to the company's performance could possibly affect its stock price.   Face it, the stock market is a glorified Kickstarter mixed with a healthy dose of Vegas, ruled by the same emotional and irrational expectations of the masses, except only...
We measure a "year" according to the duration of the earth making a complete orbit of the sun and that duration is slowing down (albeit minutely), therefore we measure that duration in "days." However, "days" are measured by the duration of the earth making one complete rotation on its axis and that rotation is slowing down as well. Therefore we measure our days in seconds. We have been adding "leap seconds" and "leap days" when required to keep our measurement of time...
Wow, a bit of news today I could actually see happening.
I know where this will eventually end.   To prevent issuing Darwin Awards to the 10% of the population that don't use critical thinking, in the near future Congressional and Parlimentary hearings across the world will determine a "warning" splash screen with a user confirmation element will be required on all electronic mapping software that provides navigation with text such as, "Drive safely and obey traffic rules. Watching this screen while a vehilce is in motion...
If you're getting paid to do something and you're embarrassed to be filmed doing it, you may be on the wrong career path.
  I could respond in two ways:   (1) "New medicine" created with the aid of powerful software, "or buildings" whose entire layout is created using software, "or vehicles" need I go on. People are never going to lose their fascination with software unless society collectively wishes to return to prehistorical times. We will only rely on software more and more in the future and society as it is now couldn't function without it. Software is only a tool, as is a blunt stick....