or Connect

Posts by cwingrav

Well, in a way he did. He made the NeXT computer company which eventually led to OS X and Pixar which changed animation until it was ultimately bought by Disney to fix their studio.
Someone at marketing forgot to think of the naming implications... Agreed about the size. I'm waiting on the next iPhone so I can stop carrying even a digital camera. Now Dell wants me to have two phones in my pockets. I'm hoping to get rid of keys and wallet someday, not add more stuff to carry.
So this is a comparison between a new open standard, not fully supported or optimized yet by the browsers, versus an old proprietary system that has had years to optimize under the direction and whim of a single company. The results are interesting but the power of a standard is to not be reliant on a single company for optimization and roadmap. HTML5 allows each browser to support, optimize and improve as it deems most appropriate. Flash has done some amazing things,...
$3 billion on a product no analyst has yet seen. Captain obvious says maybe they should make a few models given differing estimates. Or, just wait until they have real data. I guess they need to eat too though.
It would be nice if companies that produce the content could directly market to Apple and sell there, away from the Big 3 and Fox. Then, Apple just turns into a market for whoever thinks they are good enough to produce content. Given the poor quality of much of the downloadable content, I don't know if this is good or bad. But, I do like the idea of cutting out the middle man and letting the market decide which TV shows to keep in production. Quality would probably be...
Just to be picky: Ford paid his employees about twice the standard wage at the time and the model-T was made to be affordable. So, while I agree with your above statement, the analogy does not hold. Cheers.
Just to clarify a bit about optimization by multiple cores, it all really depends on the algorithm. N-body calculations are pretty much the ABSOLUTE BEST case for multi-core optimization as the calculations are small and are not dependent upon each other's results, until the next timestep (and even that can be fudged). I don't know too much about video optimization but would guess that it too is pretty open for optimization w/ multiple cores but there are quite a few...
Yes, the store costs money to maintain. Yes, support for hardware and software costs real money. Yes, boot camp costs money to maintain, i.e. upgrading it to Snow Leopard for one. Yes, creating an API and maintaining it would cost money. And to do it for the competition... Yes, OS X can be used without iTunes so it is still just an App. Wow, were these real questions? No hostility is meant by this post, though it comes across that way.
Remember that Free Software does not mean no cost. Free can mean both open and free of charge. In this sense, I agree that iTunes store should be Freely accessible. Since Apple operates the iTunes store such that it makes little off it (it is a feature for its own products), then any company interfacing it should have free access but only if they pay for it. Then the store would be Free (Access) but not Free (in cost). Apple built it, gambled on it and spent its time...
In 2-3 years, when I buy my next laptop with a matte screen, I will be able to sit in my office with the lights on again. Honestly, thank you for this. Best $50 I will spend. And yes, I don't turn my lights on in my office because of my laptop. And yes, I have a special material across my screen to reduce glare. And yes, I still find the reflection annoying and headache inducing. And no, I am not a troll, this is a simple statement of how I have to use my laptop and I...