or Connect

Posts by 21yr_mac_user

Business is war, Google has allowed the flood gates of Android competition to open and it really is a fight for survival. The phone manufacturers know that the next 5 years is do or die and they are pulling out all the stops. Apple is resting on it's laurels and mindshare. The fact is most people including me want a bigger screen but I sooner eat my left foot then go google or buy Korean - But we can only wait so long, and those who don't care will buy Androids more...
I have seen the same thing - long time iPhone users are opting for the big screen - mainly to avoid carrying 2 devices - (e.g. why have an iPad mini and a iPhone when you can have one 5-6" phone?).   Also anyone over 45 with bad eyesight (the marketshare with $$$), needs a bigger screen. Also many men (like my Dad) have fingers too big for the iPhone. If a 6" iPhone came out, my family and I would buy 4 tomorrow - I don't really want to buy a bunch of mini's.
Here's a comment actually relating to this patent: I have that original uni-body macbook and the original macbook air shortly before it. I have to admit I really dislike this patent's integrated button vs the separate original macair button. The integrated button is heavy, noisy has too much force required and doesn't work well at the corners. I have to go with enabling the virtual button which I don't like because of the increase of false clicks. I just recently got a new...
I'm a big apple fan but this is simply not true. One big reason Apple almost ate it was because it's market share was so low that it couldn't get a critical mass of developers behind it - the intel switch and ability to run windows was a key turning point to allow people to justify purchasing a less developed for OS. iOS has so many apps because it was the first out and had initially had 100% mobile developer support. If it's US market share were to go below ~20% there...
Most Silicon valley companies don't make much profit and even if they do it doesn't get passed on to shareholders. Until this year Apple was one of them. As a shareholder, other then dividends, your stock price is mostly based on growth and growth potential - thus Amazon's lofty price   If you don't have dividends there are two ways to spend your corporate $$$   1) put it in the bank and use it to grow via acquisition and buying out the competition --> more the...
To all those who dis Amazon's P/E - from the get go Bezos has always been about growing Amazon as fast as possible and plugging every available cent back into the business as any smart CEO does in a high growth phase of the a business. If Bezos listened to wall street, Amazon would still be only selling books. If Amazon wanted they could stop R&D and have a huge P/E at any point - but why? stop growing and give the money to shareholders instead of building your...
This is a poor example and I have to respond here as one who did it for very simple reasons: A new iPhone4s 64GB is $1200 without contract, after selling my iPhone4 32GB (after eBay fees) it cost me $70 to upgrade for double the memory (which will be worth much more if I sell it in the future). (If I had stayed with the 32GB I would have made $30!) If I am paying AT&T $37-45 bucks per month to buy my iPhone why would I stay on contract with an old iPhone that has been...
I have a medium octo-core end MacPro3,1 which I have beefed up to 4TB internal storage and 2 X25-M intel SSDs 1 for 10.6 bootup and 1 for win7 ultimate. 5 drives, one machine and I have 2 removable eSATA backup drives used to image copy my backup drives monthly - this setup would be a mess with external drives and a thousand power bricks. In addition - I need the flexibility, updatability and I need a paper weight that is secure and I can lock down. I also need 2-3 24"...
Amen - and how about buying that Intel / Micron flash (IM Flash) that goes in them - cutting edge process technology, made next to Salt Lake City in the good 'ol USA. I love Apple, but they obviously don't give a crap about buying from domestic suppliers - in fact it seems they go out of their way to favor Asian suppliers. When out unemployment rate is ever increasing and the average American spends hundreds on Apple's products - Apple should not bite the hand that feeds...
A big point missed by Intel and others is that when people buy a mac laptop - they have either an expensive macbook pro or the mac air (or the craptastic soon to be discontinued macbook). The mac air is cheaper and comparable so you are saving money to have a sexier laptop - only pros needing finalcut pro or the screen real-estate are going with the 15" mac pro these days. In contrast the PC market is mostly about price (a look at how poorly sony has done is case in...