or Connect

Posts by 21yr_mac_user

Amen - and how about buying that Intel / Micron flash (IM Flash) that goes in them - cutting edge process technology, made next to Salt Lake City in the good 'ol USA. I love Apple, but they obviously don't give a crap about buying from domestic suppliers - in fact it seems they go out of their way to favor Asian suppliers. When out unemployment rate is ever increasing and the average American spends hundreds on Apple's products - Apple should not bite the hand that feeds...
A big point missed by Intel and others is that when people buy a mac laptop - they have either an expensive macbook pro or the mac air (or the craptastic soon to be discontinued macbook). The mac air is cheaper and comparable so you are saving money to have a sexier laptop - only pros needing finalcut pro or the screen real-estate are going with the 15" mac pro these days. In contrast the PC market is mostly about price (a look at how poorly sony has done is case in...
Don't forget Apple is still pissed off at Intel for integrating their graphics and making the Nvida graphics chipset illegal after c2d. That's why the Macbook air still has an ancient processor - the pre Sandy bridge i-series had poor integrated intel graphics and Apple wanted better graphics performance not worse for the 2nd and 3rd gen macbook airs - Intel completely torpedoed Apple's plans and strategy and it cost them dearly until the new Sandy bridge Macbook airs are...
Intel is one of the few big US companies that keeps many of it's factories in the US and pumps Billions and Billions into the local US economies. Having Intel's leading processing technology and having the Billions Apple invests in these chips stay at home is a win win for Apple and the US and will help keep the competition at bay. I truly hope this comes to pass, and I wish Apple would do more to invest in other US suppliers and manufacturers - After all Americans...
I couldn't agree more. Look at Intel's press release today: Intel said it will spend between $6 billion and $8 billion to expand U.S. manufacturing, including the new Oregon factory. Overall, Intel said the projects will support at least 6,000 construction jobs and at least 800 new, long-term production jobs. The company said it will upgrade its two Hillsboro research factories, D1C and D1D, and add a third -- D1X. The newest factory will open in 2013. Two factories in...
I'm an apple fan forever, BUT I have to admit MSFT has a huge R&D department and invests in fundamental techs more than apple - example the huge effort and push to get F# out the door which for me is a huge step forward from C. Apple has been saving money modding open source stuff which is great for profits and compatibility but is not doing the dev world any favors. As a Software company that lives on how good 3rd party apps are apple should do everything in it's power to...
You are missing the point. It is perfectly reasonable to like apple and it's products, but desire that they plug back more of their huge profits into job creation in their home country like they used to. For example a search reveled an apple factory list 2 years ago: F: Fremont, CA, USA (which at one time was Steve Jobs pride and joy - a fully automated factory building macs) CK: Cork, Ireland SG, E: Singapore XA, XB: Sacramento, CA, USA FC: Fountain, CO, USA (PowerBooks...
When Apple was a small company worried about it's next year, it makes perfect sense to cut costs, outsource and stockpile some savings. Apple is not that company anymore - it is now one of the biggest companies in the US which takes a lot of our hard earned money, stockpiles it and sends it overseas via manufacturing and component outsourcing. There is a certain point in a rich company's life, in which there is this thing called corporate responsibility to invest in...
I think SL's initial bugs are consistent with all OSX releases - remember how bad jag was? Also I was forced to try out Leopard with my new machine and it had many issues until things started settling down at 10.5.3 Lets face it - Apple doesn't test their Software well and relies on us early adopters to shake it out. Microsoft got bit badly by this with Vista which is why they released the public beta for windows 7 almost a year early. In this era of people being less...
A Ton of writing and comments, but what about power? The big bonus of USB, firewire, ADB was that they have power lines built in so you don't need a jillion transformers for every hub or device. If we have spaghetti optical fiber everywhere - we will still need some copper to provide the 5v, or this is doomed from the get go. Also my Tos-links are a pain sometimes - they get dirty and are sensitive to alignment - hope they can make better connectors... That said I like...