or Connect

Posts by Quadra 610

When discussing the Apple of today, it's usually best to judge them on outcomes, rather than make predictions about their initial moves. Apple tends to surprise and show they were right (with profit and consumer satisfaction to prove it) when the dust settles.We can safely reserve early predictions for tech has-beens like Microsoft, who have, over the past decade, demonstrated a remarkable ability to doggedly ignore the obvious.
I have no problem with MS peddling their stuff on Apple gear. The more they do that, the less relevant they make their already irrelevant hardware.    Plus, we get more options in the process. Now we have all those other apps, plus Skype. 
This sounds very Ivan Drago.
The translucency. At first blush I assumed it would be Vista-like... revealing content behind overlapping windows. And while parts of the Finder do this, it actually functions to reveal further content *in the same window*, which is very clever, at least in implementation. I'm not sure whether it's really necessary, because the cues that tell you there's more content you're not seeing happen anyway during the act of scrolling. But I find the effect rather pleasant. It's...
I was a little ambivalent about it at first (like I was with iOS 7), but I'm really starting to warm up to the UI. It appears that the interface has been tightened up, with even more cruft removed, that is designed to get out if the way. As with iOS 7, it's about the content, not the UI. It also appears to have been designed with a consumer that is more tech-savvy in mind, and better able to pick up subtler navigation cues than consumers of the pre-iOS era.
James Carville!     ;) 
Yes, I was just adding to your comment. We're in agreement.
Excellent point. But at this stage, it might be even more important to fight the urge to release early, and instead *release it right*. 
One thing seems abundantly clear:   Apple's HIG and related design principles have shifted, from pre-iOS concerns about ensuring that interfaces are so simple and obvious that anyone and their dog could use them without any learning curve (relatively), to post-iOS concerns about designing "computer" or rather "device" interfaces that are very similar in form and function to the appliances we use every day as a matter of course: iOS and Android devices.    From a...
And my Early 2008 MacBook Pro is smiling from USB port to USB port.        Ran every Mac OS beautifully, from what it came with right up to Mavericks. Stuck more RAM in it in 2009 to bring it up to 6GB. Still chugging along nicely.