or Connect

Posts by bstring

Because no one calls that number (ADSL line)? If your incoming calls rang the cordless phones around the house and it wouldn't deduct from your cell plan minutes, wouldn't that be better? If your computer popped up an incoming call window when you had a call coming in and all you had to do was click it and start speaking, would that be easier than looking for your phone or bluetooth? I didn't think it would be as useful either.
This study did not reveal any surprises and does not indicate any sort of shift in the UK market or any other. Here are a couple corrections/clarifications. 1) Android sales weren't down from a year ago for the quarter ending Oct 30. They were up from 34.2 to 46% 2) Android sales were at 49% for the quarter ending Sep 30, just prior to 4S sales. 3) iPhone 4S sales for the month of October accounted for 43% of smartphone sales compared to Android's 35%. This is the up...
Yep, something got lost somewhere. I think the takeaway from the research at hand is, iPhone sales really jumped when the 4S was released. However.... "The research company says the October boost meant that for the 12 weeks to the end of October, Apple's market share of UK smartphone sales was 27.8%, compared to 25% in the same period a year before. The Android platform continued to increase its overall lead, powering 46% of smartphones in the 12-week period, compared to...
Too bad it doesn't work internationally, a legal issue apparently. Glad to see international users have good voip options with ios. If apple would have supported google voice from the beginning, I may have gone with an iPhone back then. Google voice affords a lot of freedom and advantages like free unlimited SMS, no text plan required. It gives the user control over incoming calls rather than the carrier. Inbound calls can ring your cell, plus any other phone or gmail web...
I haven't felt the hit from this yet. Not sure how it will arrive. Targeted ads in my email or search results? In any case, I can certainly move off google services without too much heartache. If it ever starts to smell, that's what will happen. So, I'm not feeling locked in. I'm not entrenched to the point where moving on would be too costly or burdensome. Going public on the internet is about sacrificing some privacy. I've accepted it. The terms are acceptable to me.
Sure, I respect your decision, but would disagree about android apps being mostly free with ads. What I see, for the most part, is two versions of each app, free/paid. Having 15 minutes to return a crappy app has proven invaluable. My annual app investment on any given platform is fairly negligible, doesn't affect my decision to pick the latest android tablet to see what quad-core with android 4.0 is like. I may keep it, return it, or sell it later. When windows 8 tablets...
Yes, all mobile platforms have inherent forms of lock in, primarily the apps. My point is, users shouldn't feel compelled to buy other Apple products simply because they may own one. Buy whatever is best based upon your independent research. If the advantage of 'the ecosystem' proves worthy rather than a detriment, go for it. Personally, I enjoy several mobile and desktop platforms and like the diversity. Limiting myself to one would be very..... limiting.
If you ever feel like you can't switch to something new because it will be inconvenient, you are suffering from 'lock-in'. All mobile platforms have varying degrees of it, but Apple is notoriously bad and they are not ashamed. The expression "starting all over" can be used to dissuade people, but getting your contacts, mail and social media apps setup on a different mobile platform is a 15 minute process. Can you export an iphone call log? probably not so that will take a...
This is 'shoehorning' and it's not elegant. Yes, it's easy, but truly inelegant. It can be done just as simply within or between any two platforms. The ecosystem advantage goes out the window.I've had plenty of powermacs, mac pros, imacs, ipods, ipod touches and an iPad. I've been the apple evangelist. The whole thing started to smell a few years ago though and my perspective changed. It was a lot of little things that piled up, but the infamous straw was the itunes/ios...
The best way to avoid OS-specific malware is to keep a small market share and so far it's working, but is showing signs of vulnerability. As for non-OS specific attacks, everyone is fair game and this is the area showing the most growth.