or Connect

Posts by bstring

It's all in the headline wording. What I read is, "Organizations with secure infrastructure reject iPad access to internal resources, however some IT departments are willing to take greater risks when the opportunity for immediate gains in revenue exists".
Apple's sales in 2Q 2010 represented 22% of US smart phone market share while Android's was 34%. This is all due to Apple's decision to go with an exclusive carrier agreement. Android would have never taken hold had the iPhone been available on multiple carriers. Once the iPhone is available elsewhere, I'm afraid it will be too late to convert Android owners. Apple is comfortable with 15-20% market share earning record profit per customer and this is where they will...
This is good news for iPhone users... downward pressure on pricing, incentive to offer more features and hopefully encourage them to ease up on restrictions. It may not happen right away and next quarter will likely see a surge of iPhone 4 sales, but with the trend continuing, it will make Apple products more attractive for everyone. As a consumer of all kinds of products, Apple included, seeing one manufacturer way out in front is never a good thing. Fierce...
"The people who create [Apple] apps serve at the landlord’s pleasure and fear his anger." http://bit.ly/aPuLmL "The big thing about the Web isn’t the technology, it’s that it’s the first-ever platform without a vendor. Apple apparently thinks you can have the benefits of the Internet while at the same time controlling what programs can be run and what parts of the stack can be accessed and what developers can say to each other." All mobile platforms have open access...
Wait, weren't there more than 50,000 Apple TVs sold in the first two hours??
I wonder if Apple will create a device like the iPad, but without the expensive silicon that would allow iPhone and iPod Touch owners to attach to the back. Basically, why not have a device cheaper than the iPad just for I/O? It would be great to see the next iPhone with 1024x768 resolution to allow people to buy a $199 dummy slate (7" or 10") for applications that demand more real estate. The battery in the large display could help power the handheld longer, etc. Just a...
Apple rejected Google Maps with free navigation, true. TomTom earned a healthy profit because they were coddled by Apple, who just wanted to preserve its 30%. This is great news for the developer and Apple, but who is the real loser here? Exactly, all the people who paid for something offered at no charge outside the apple ecosystem. The situation itself boggles my mind, but the twisted reporting of it is just bizarre. Well, unless the developers outnumber the users here.
Sure, my perspective is clear. If I didn't know too much about it, we wouldn't be discussing it. The reason it is of no interest to you is because it is not available to you. If you had a chance to use it for a while and then Apple took it away, you might feel differently.
iphone apps do crash. They can bring down the OS. All software is a work in progress. And, you can pay all you want, but only get what you seek out and negotiate. Would you award the highest bidder on a contract simply based on price? Google has shown they work in the consumer's interest to get a better price, bypassing traditional sms, for example. Apple has done nothing but stifle efforts such as these that bypass high-priced carrier services. Apple, by bringing...
Technically, Google Voice isn't a VOIP product. It uses the traditional phone network. On ATT, it would only help by saving SMS fees. The real value in it lies in the fact that it takes away the call control and sms control from your carrier and gives control to you. For incoming calls, YOU decide where the call goes or does not go and at what day/time. As I said previously, there is no fee for forwarding. If/when you quit ATT, nothing happens to your voice mail (including...