or Connect

Posts by Tulkas

a) Fitbit is well aware of apps like this. They have an active developer relations and encourage these types of apps. In the fitbit forums, where this issue of non-integration first came up, it has been well discussed that  fitbit users are left with using 3rd party apps like this for Health integration.b) Google already has Google Fit and Fitbit does not integrate with it. They do integrate with Microsoft's Healthvault, but that was a much more robust and comprehensive...
This isn't about the $50 premium membership and there is no reason Fitbit can't coexist and thrive with Apple Watch and provide health integration. They serve two different needs, even if there is some overlap. The Apple Watch isn't going to track your sleep because you need to remove it daily to charge it. The fitbit is intentionally understated so that it doesn't attract much attention at all (Flex is probably the most discrete and understated of all of the wrist worn...
Well, Fitbit has long had an API that allows for exactly this, extracting data without paying. The paid premium service is more to get the data out into different file formats for your own purposes. So, since they've allowed many developers to access the APIs for so long, this is likely not the only or even the main reason for their reluctance regarding HealthKit. Fitbit's idea is for their app and web dashboard to be your real-time, comprehensive gateway to your fitness...
Wristband has provide this for Fitbit (and Jawbone) users for some time now.
Wasn't this reported like a year ago?
I don't see them breaking away from Nuance for a while. Seems like it's just as likely they are working to bolster what they can do on top of nuance. As much as they do try to own their core technologies, and speech definitely is one, I don't think they want the backlash like they had with Maps. Eventually they will either move to their own backend or buy that part of nuance. I just don't see doing it on their own as a short term play.
No one saw this coming?
I hear this often, that nuance only provides the bare bones speech recognition and apple handles the AI. I don't think it's that cut and dry. Nuance has gigantic data centres for online voice recognition and have been almost exclusively focused on NLU.There would really be three stages here.-determining the words- determining meaning of words and phrases- determining intent as it relates to Siri for command and control, search, etcThe AI is going to be in the last two. I...
Google's is good but, IMO, is no where near nuance yet. But as for how they did it so fast...data.These days, algorithms are well advanced and data is king. Google can examine every voicemail that goes through the GV system and store the data for further analysis. They can also peruse each and every email that goes through gmail to improve NLU (not the speech recognition part, but the language parsing and understanding part). Nuance doesn't have either of these massive...
Sure it's chump change for them but doesn't mean it's a good move. I suppose at worst it's a distraction and might become an embarrassment.When I first read these rumours I thought Beats would be Apple's Nest or Motorola, getting suckered into overpaying. But the new rumours make it sound more like Apple's own Alicia Keys.